Worst MPGs ever?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Worst MPGs ever?

What's the worst mileage you've achieved over the course of a tankful? I'm working on 19.5 right now....

Old 05-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Think green.
Default Re: Worst MPGs ever?

That's pretty bad. Is your 12V battery okay?

My "tank of shame" was 30.8, during cold weather up north. But that's with a Civic hybrid, not an Accord. I used to get 18.5 with my Oldsmobile though.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm pushing this one a tad hard but no worse than other hotrods I've had, M3 sedan, Mark 8's. My M3 would be doing this same #'s under these conditions, rarely got less than 19 in that '97 automatic. The Mk 8 would be doing about 15-16 pushing this hard.

I'm averaging about 22-23 in mixed 80/20 street/highway driving. This lousy stankful is all side roads in NY traffic.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by houseofcharm
What's the worst mileage you've achieved over the course of a tankful? I'm working on 19.5 right now....
My worst tank was 18.4. That was earlier this year in February, very cold temperatures and all city miles with short trips. All of my 20 and below tankfuls have been in February except one from December. Most of 34+ tankfuls happen in July for me.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:41 AM
Witch w/ sense of humor

I got ~25 MPG in my Insight-II during "snowmagedden" this past winter. Excessively cold weather really does kill a hybrid's fuel economy. In my old hybrid, I was down to 32-35 MPG when I was driving it on a dead IMA battery for two months.

I occasionally drove a Dodge Durango for work. It averaged *six* miles per gallon. I found out last week that the truck's transmission failed about five nanoseconds after the warranty expired. Now we have a Chevy Blazer for work. ::sigh:: I was hoping for a Ford Escape Hybrid.

Last edited by Indigo; 05-11-2010 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gonehiking
My worst tank was 18.4. That was earlier this year in February, very cold temperatures and all city miles with short trips. All of my 20 and below tankfuls have been in February except one from December. Most of 34+ tankfuls happen in July for me.
Just to be clear, when my HAH got 18.4, my non-hybrid Accord EX-V6 6MT got 15.5 mpg. These two cars are both 2006 and are very close in terms of spec. This gives me a reasonable comparison of hybrid vs non-hybrid cars. So even in very cold weather, I do see an advantage with hybrid.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

That was my next question-the difference between the 2....still about 20%.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think my wife holds the family record for worst at 32+. Around 200 miles hilly highway driving in a terrible rain and violent wind storm. 1 passenger and a lot of lugage.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

I would have to see that to belive it evedrvr. I don't believe my hah would ever achieve 30+ mpgs save for downhill in FL with a hurricane at my back...mine's never broken 25 mpg in 9 months...

Old 05-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

I was wrong about the 32+. Went out and checked the log book and found a 31. That was the tank when I let the Honda IMA tech drive it around for the afternoon. Guess he wanted to make sure it could still go fast.

In the past 3209 miles the car has consumed 96.309 US gallons of regular gasoline formulated to CA specifications. That is a 33.34 mpg based upon fuel receipts from various pumps. Can't give you anymore numbers than that as that is all I've owned it for. The current tank looks to be another 33+ and it is at the 1/2 way point now.

The car is pretty much a garage queen and only goes out when the trip plan exceeds the range or passenger capacity of our EV or the outside air temp requires a better a/c than the EV's. So it makes very very few trips during which it isn't capable of operating efficiently. Mostly mixed city traffic to get to the I-80 raceway. The mpg average readouts are generally between 32+ and 34+.

I've driven it only once on a long highway trip. 441 miles I-5 and 680/80 raceway and it averaged 37.05. Would have been in the 40's but a accident jam up 680 turned into a parking lot near Livermore.

The car is IMO capable of somewhat better mpg than mine and could easily be way less without much effort. Good numbers don't come as easily as I would like. But they come a lot easier than on the 2010 Nissan Maxima that I took to MT recently and I would say the performance level is similiar. Nissan has a nicer road "feel" if that means anything.

Quick Reply: Worst MPGs ever?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands