Will the 05 HAH be able to start without the Hybrid batteries in the trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Will the 05 HAH be able to start without the Hybrid batteries in the trunk?

Originally Posted by lebloom
I accidentally left the key in the ignition switch while I washed it. When done the car wouldn't turn over without being jumped.
Quite possibly your battery is already weak. I can't imagine it took you longer than 20-30 mins to handwash your car. It would take a couple hours of the headlights being left on in order to drain a good battery down to the point where it won't start the car. Take your car to an AutoZone or similar and have them test your battery.

I tried to turn it over and since the engine is so quiet and didn't hear it running I thought it wasn't running and tried turning it over again and it wouldn't start without a jump. Is there something wrong or this natural?
Very peculiar, since nothing happens when you turn the key to the start position when your car is already running. There's a relay built in that if the car is running it won't reengage the IMA engine start. Again, I say have the battery tested. Especially if it's the original battery.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Default Re: Will the 05 HAH be able to start without the Hybrid batteries in the trunk?

Originally Posted by TonyK
I was surprised mine didnt have the ability for the light to go out automatically. How do you do this?
Really? I believe it comes from the factory like this. If you leave the headlight switch to the on position, turn the key off, close the door and walk away, the headlights stay on for something like 10 seconds before shutting off. At least, that's how mine works.

I dont expect any troubles, yet, I would love to know if the car is thought out well enough to have it start off the 12v battery with its own conventional starter should the ima batteries die or be removed completely making this a standard accord with the addition of the ability to run on 3cyls. The only thing that would be missing is the IMA boost .
From my experience, if the 12V battery is depleted, you will not be able to start the car. The reason is because when you turn your key to the on position, the 12V battery energizes some relays, the ECU, and the IMA components. Without that 12V power, the IMA system won't be able to start the car.

If it were the other way around, and the 144V batteries were depleted, then yes, the 12V battery would power everything on and the conventional starter will turn the motor over.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

TonyK,

Sure anytime. I just picked that up when I was trying to do some of the things you can do with this car. You open your garage door with the switch there on the ceiling in the honda?

Old 01-28-2009, 05:12 PM

I don't exactly know how my battery was depleted that day it had to be jumped. The batteries were charged and then I accidentally left my key in the ignition for a period while I cleaned and waxed the car. I go to start it and the battery symble showed depleted. It didn't take much to jump it.
I'm wondering if you left the key in the on position, and what drained the battery is that power was flowing to all the circuits. Including the power hungry HVAC. Do you recall the key position?

I have read that if the hybrid batteries were to be totally depleted this car probably wouldn't run correct since it doesn't have a alternator.
If the IMA motor could still produce a charge (but the 144V batteries couldn't store it) then the car SHOULD be able to run normally. But, who knows...

Old 01-28-2009, 05:14 PM

I just want to know my options so to speak before the time comes to shell out the $$s for a new IMA battery pack or simply drive the car as a conventional accord IF thats even possible. That is my only reason for wanting to know.
I agree. It'll probably still be several years until one of us finds out the hard way the intricacies of the IMA components. But I want to know about how it works now for some peace of mind!

Old 01-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bar10dah
Quite possibly your battery is already weak. I can't imagine it took you longer than 20-30 mins to handwash your car. It would take a couple hours of the headlights being left on in order to drain a good battery down to the point where it won't start the car. Take your car to an AutoZone or similar and have them test your battery.

Very peculiar, since nothing happens when you turn the key to the start position when your car is already running. There's a relay built in that if the car is running it won't reengage the IMA engine start. Again, I say have the battery tested. Especially if it's the original battery.
It took probably about an hour to wash and wax my car and then I tried to start it and it wouldn't turn over. Your right I had my battery checked over by my mechanic and if it was near time time he would of had it replaced but he didn't recommend me replacing it. And my mechanic is always trying to make a buck.

I know its seemed really strange why its happened to me twice. I don't hear very well and with this quiet starting motor its sometimes hard to hear it actually starting up. I thought it had turned over since I saw the bar light there on the dash light up. I for some reason tried again and then the enging wouldn't start, period. I had it jumped and it fired up instantly. I think I'll have a second opinion on the battery, soon. Thanks

Old 01-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

I belive I had the ignition turn off fully but I had it so that the lights would turn off automatically. I didn't pull the keys out of the ignition and I left the car there for about an hour while I cleaned and waxed it. I really didn't notice the lights not going out. When I went to start the engine it wouldn't turn over. I don't know. I wish I knew more. At least I get more answers on this hybrid website than any others. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Look at the tachometer and you will see if engine is working or not.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Enthusiast

Apparently it is true that you cannot start the car if the battery under the hood is weak. We had a decent cold weather spell and hard freeze here and yesterday morning with the car covered in ice it would not start. The headlishts worked fine and did not dim when I tried to start it (so the manual tells you to try.) The manual suggests based on this that there is a problem with a fuse or electrical circuit.

Called Honda and chose the option for battery support. They were clueless. Called the dealer and they said they thought it would need to be jump started and asked if I could get the car there. (Wow...that's a no brainer.)

Checked the battery with a meter and it shows 10v which is low. The voltage is coming up some as it seems to thaw. don't want to try to jump start a frozen battery. What's silly is the indicator on the battery indicates "distilled water" and the battery says "Maintenance Free".

I've been having crappy fuel economy for the last few months. Wondering if it has been trying to charge this weak battery. I'll likely get a new battery and see if it helps all the issues. You'd think it could start from the batteries in the trunk but NOT!

Old 01-29-2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by martinl78
You'd think it could start from the batteries in the trunk but NOT!
It CAN/DOES start with the 144V batteries in the trunk. However, the computers and such needs the 12V battery under the hood to be able to power themselves up.

If you're looking to buy a new 12V battery, I hear Wal-Mart's Everstart is a pretty good choice, and at a very good price. Very good for cold climates, as well.

Quick Reply: Will the 05 HAH be able to start without the Hybrid batteries in the trunk?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands