What Replacement Struts Have You Used

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default What Replacement Struts Have You Used

My 05 HAH has over 100k on it and I feel its time to replace the struts. MY mechanic gave me a $700 figure for a really nice set but that sounds too high. Has anyone out there replaced theirs yet? Bought this car used and figured it would need new struts sometime in the next 2 years but maybe its time sooner if can find one that won't eat my wallet.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What Replacement Struts Have You Used

We had a 91 Accord for about 15 years, albeit with a lot lower per-year mileage than yours: it never even occurred to me to replace struts. Is there something amiss with yours?

Old 02-14-2009, 09:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

The ride, its too tight. Here in IL the highways are rough. I am looking for something to take the roughness out it. I had an 04 Buick Regal which also had a sporty suppension but it had a much better ride. And both the Accord and the Regal were the same length but the Accord rides alot rougher. Not quite sure if the Accord was fitted with a sporty suppension or what. I replaced the tires just last year and that made the ride some better but not enough.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

May not be the struts but the spring rate. US cars and some Jap often overspring and underdamp their shocks and it makes a stiff pogostick ride(mustang GT, Subaru Forester XT among others).

Old 02-15-2009, 01:59 PM

Hmm, generally you can tell you need new struts when the ride is too soft. Actually, when it oscillates more than once or twice after hitting a bump. If the suspension is tight, where it very quickly stops the oscillations, then I'd rule out the struts.

Since I've never ridden in your HAH, I can't comment on the way your suspension behaves. However, mine feels better than a regular sedan suspension. A bit more sporty. Although, not as sporty and tight as the suspension in the TL. When I bought my '05 HAH, I test drove the '05 TL and could definitely feel the TL's suspension was tighter. As it should, being more of a sporty car than the HAH.

If I recall correctly, the optional sport struts available for the V6 Accord is about $700 from www.handaaccessories.com. Unfortunately, it's not compatible with the HAH or I'd be looking at those when it comes time to replace them. I don't know anything about aftermarket struts for the HAH, or about how much they'd cost. Shop around? One thing that I'd caution is that after paying $700, if the stock HAH suspension is too tight for you, you more than likely won't like the feeling of a more sporty suspension, as it'll be even tighter than stock. Maybe you should look at struts that aren't and upgrade, but rather a downgrade? From the sounds of it, you like the softer boat-type car suspension? I think I know what you're describing because I have an old '59 Ford that has such a suspension. It felt like it floated over bumps. However, the car rocked and swayed a bit too much for my liking. Especially during 'spirited' driving. Another thing I can think of that'll give you the feel you're looking for is buying a smaller wheel and using higher sidewall tires. Keep the same tire diameter, but by making the wheels smaller and the rubber larger, the sidewalls should absorb a bit more of the impacts for you. However, buying new wheels and even tires (since you just bought new tires) is probably out of the question.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by houseofcharm
May not be the struts but the spring rate. US cars and some Jap often overspring and underdamp their shocks and it makes a stiff pogostick ride(mustang GT, Subaru Forester XT among others).
So, what can be done about this if this is the problem? Probably can't do anything to change this can I?

Old 02-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
We had a 91 Accord for about 15 years, albeit with a lot lower per-year mileage than yours: it never even occurred to me to replace struts. Is there something amiss with yours?

What am I stuck with this kind of ride?

Old 02-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

You can modify the springs and/or the struts but you'd need to find sources-something I have no clue about. Eibach is usually much harder than stock. You can also find a good spring winder to custom make some springs. i like progressive rates where the 1st few inches are Caddy soft and then stiffen up on the bigger bumps. Peugeot had this down perfectly in the 60-70s, caddy ride mainly and then set like a sports car on turns and bigger bumps.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:57 AM

I can't imagine a strut going in that short of a time frame. You are probably use to a softer ride in the buick.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

And if struts went bad that quickly, it'd probably only be one of them that was defective, not the pair from wear.

Quick Reply: What Replacement Struts Have You Used

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands