What is going wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Brains of the Operation
Default Re: Accord Hybrid Ad

Originally Posted by bar10dah
Doesn't the HAH have a sort of clinometer that senses the levelness of the car? Which helps to tell the car if it's going up or down a hill and can compensate and smooth out the engine and tranny speeds? I can't recall if that's a feature of the HAH, or Acura TL, or both...
I could swear the HCH has one, too. Keeping my foot absolutely still, I swear the car will kick in a little assist and/or increase RPMs if a hill I am going up suddenly gets steeper. I have trained myself pretty thoroughly to drive with the load, so I'm keeping my right foot absolutely still up most of these hills. I realize this is a HAH forum, but have any other HCH pilots noticed this phenomenon? Am I making this up?

Old 12-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What is going wrong?

Now that you mentioned that, I've seen the same thing in the HAH. But, instead of driving with 'manual' speed control, I use the CC. As I approach my radar site, there's a very slight incline. But, the HAH, will show a few bars of blue just as I go up it. Don't know if it's related to the vehicle speed dropping, or that the car senses the incline and starts to compensate.

Okay, where are our Honda techies? Care to shed some light? Now I am even MORE curious!

Old 12-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bar10dah
Doesn't the HAH have a sort of clinometer that senses the levelness of the car? Which helps to tell the car if it's going up or down a hill and can compensate and smooth out the engine and tranny speeds? I can't recall if that's a feature of the HAH, or Acura TL, or both...
In the HAH, it's a programmed process called Grade Logic Control and it senses when the car is climbing or descending a hill and eliminates "gear hunting". See and play the Flash demo that fully explains how it works here: http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...=Accord+Hybrid

Old 12-22-2005, 06:08 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nimbus2k
Definitely use the cruise control as much as you possibly can, unless you have extremely hilly highways around where you live (but I found that the cc on the Accord is verrrrrry smooth, and I didn't get a lot of neck snapping behavior from going up a steep hill on a highway, with the cc activated.)
Speaking of CC, has anyone noticed that the CC in the HAH actually starts working at 25 mph? Most other CC implementations I've seen only start at 40 mph. Makes me think that the Honda Engineers intend for us to use the CC for most of our driving.

Old 12-22-2005, 06:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What is going wrong?

Every car with cruise control I've ever driven starts at 25 mph.