View Poll Results: get the fog lamps? (poll closes in 30 days after 11-28-05)
yes
45.45%
no
45.45%
don't care
9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Fog Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 10:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Fog Lamps

I'm considering getting them. I believe they're around $230 online. It's hard to justify getting them because they're just so expensive!

Who here has them on their HAH? Do you notice any improvement over just using the headlights? See any farther? Better? What are your opinions on them?

Old 11-29-2005, 03:33 AM
Default Re: Fog Lamps

our low beams are aimed pretty low already; seems like a lot of $$ for little payoff other than a unique front end. I don't think I've seen any 7th gen Accords with them.

Not much need for them around here, either, though.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Are they amber? I had amber fog lights on my Acura Legend and they made a nice improvement in dense fog.

Rich

Old 11-29-2005, 05:28 PM

I wouldn't get them with ambers. (they're clear, stock) I'm not concerned with fog. So, I shouldn't call them fog lamps. What I need are driving lamps.

Old 11-29-2005, 08:58 PM
Banned

I suspect foglights sold more for "coolness" rather than utility. Good point that most of us are already driving low to the ground. But maybe it really is a safety feature.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 11-30-2005 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:43 AM
Enthusiastically Active

If aimed properly, fog lamps only really help in low visability situations like fog, heavy snow fall, etc.... as their beam tends to be low and wide. I suspect you get little of either in Arizona, so they would just be for the cool factor. I used to live in a very rural area, and there was often fog at night, in which they helped dramatically. Since I have lived in the city, I have never had them, nor have I really needed them.

If you are just buying them for appearance, you might consider getting a cheaper generic version at a dept. store.

Old 11-30-2005, 06:44 AM

Not much Fog in El Mirage.......I'd say get them if you want them for the LOOKS, but as mentioned, they won't really help you much in "no-Fog AZ."

Old 11-30-2005, 10:19 AM
my other car is a FJORD

can i rant a little? around here it seems like every single large or fancy vehicle has them, and most pickup trucks. fine. but they run with them on all the time! i get blinked at when i forgot to dim my lights, yet these days a truck can be coming at you with maybe up to ten lights on in the front, and that's not considered the same as brights? they have their headlights, the high intensity fog lights, running lights next to the head lights, lights on the cab, and sometimes an extra set on the front just to look cool. meanwhile, those of us that they are either passing or coming toward are covering our eyes. what gives?

and don't get me started on the blue ones or the really high intensity yellow ones that burn out your retinas as they come up behind you.

Old 11-30-2005, 11:23 AM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by laurie
can i rant a little? around here it seems like every single large or fancy vehicle has them, and most pickup trucks. fine. but they run with them on all the time! i get blinked at when i forgot to dim my lights, yet these days a truck can be coming at you with maybe up to ten lights on in the front, and that's not considered the same as brights? they have their headlights, the high intensity fog lights, running lights next to the head lights, lights on the cab, and sometimes an extra set on the front just to look cool. meanwhile, those of us that they are either passing or coming toward are covering our eyes. what gives?

and don't get me started on the blue ones or the really high intensity yellow ones that burn out your retinas as they come up behind you.
Hi Laurie,
I believe that there is a Fed DOT requirement for headlights and fog's and how many or how intense they can be. I feel your pain as this happens to me all the time. The HID headlights are only legal on cars that come factory equipped with them (they have the correct reflectors/lens assemblies). The aftermarket Kit HID's are not legal unless the reflector/lens assembly has a Fed ID number with HID imprinted on it. All other HID's are not street legal, (only meant for off-road use).

The big pick ups and SUV's with all the added off-road lights should not be using them on reg highways. You may be able to verify this on the DOT or NHTSA website.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...3/overview.htm

http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/ho...=detail&id=479

And if you're having problems sleeping, try reading this NHTSA tome...

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd...20spectrum.pdf

Old 11-30-2005, 11:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by laurie
....yet these days a truck can be coming at you with maybe up to ten lights on in the front, and that's not considered the same as brights?....
That's when I wish for extreme flashbulbs mounted in the rear of my car. Not only would it blind them, it would fry what little brain was left.

Seriously, the laws should address monster trucks/land barges for the safety hazards they are, not to mention the increased highway wear....

Quick Reply: Fog Lamps

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands