Should I recommend an '05 HAH to a coworker?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Should I recommend an '05 HAH to a coworker?

He's in the market for an entry level lux car and is nearly settled on an Acura TL, but he's slightly worried about future gas prices.

There's an '05 HAH with 17k miles for sale locally for $22.9k.

It's not CPO, but it seems like a great deal.

I've heard of roughness in the IMA system. Has this been worked out with SW updates?

Also, I've heard of missing spare tires in this year. What's the cheapest way to replace?

Thirdly, I've read mileage esitmates all over the board. I guess if he drives consevatively he can get over 30? True?

Any other issues to worry about?

Thanks in advance, nf

Old 05-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Should I recommend an '05 HAH to a coworker?

Originally Posted by noflash
He's in the market for an entry level lux car and is nearly settled on an Acura TL, but he's slightly worried about future gas prices.

I've heard of roughness in the IMA system. Has this been worked out with SW updates?

Also, I've heard of missing spare tires in this year. What's the cheapest way to replace?

Thirdly, I've read mileage esitmates all over the board. I guess if he drives consevatively he can get over 30? True?

Thanks in advance, nf
i had an 05 hah and really liked it i didn't notice any roughness with the IMA.

as far as the spare tire at least in 05 they didn't come with a spare they came with a can of sealant never had to use it but alittle like fixaflat i guess.

if he drives real conservative he could get 30 but it depends on if he drives more city or highway it will definetly do better on the highway.

i would recommend one.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:19 AM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Should I recommend an '05 HAH to a coworker?

Thanks in advance, nf
I have the Last Year that Honda made the HAH. The 2007 and I can tell you that the Friend will not regret having the HAH 2005 Model.

As far as the TL Acura, Good Luck with it. He/She will Love putting in the 93 Octane Gas and if they do not they will just get to know the Service Department at their Local Acura Dealer very well.

How do I know ???? I work at an Acura dealer !!!!!!!!!

There is No Direct Comparision between a TL Acura and the Honda Accord Hybrid. Very different vehicles.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 05-27-2008 at 03:45 AM.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:13 PM

I disagree with Tigerhonaker. The TL and Accord seem to be very similar vehicles. They look like they have a lot of the same (or close to the same) numbers when it comes to dimensions. And all the switches seem to be similar in appearance and located in the same places. It seems like the designers were on the same page of music when designing both cars. However, the TL is much more refined and luxury like. Sit in each, and you'll know what I'm talking about. The HAH is very nice, but the TL seems to be nicer. Yes, Tigerhonaker is right, there's really no direct comparison when it comes to what the target market is for each car. But in essence, I feel they're similar.

I too was looking at a TL when I bought my HAH. In fact, I was on my way to the dealer to put down some money to have a TL built back in 2005. On the way to the Acura dealer, I kept passing gas stations with >$3/gal prices, so I got off on the next off-ramp and turned towards a Honda dealership and took home the HAH instead. In my quest to buy a new car (my current vehicle was owned for 13 years and 196K miles, it was time for a new car) I had test driven a lot of vehicles. I actually test drove the Civic Hybrid because of the high MPG. But couldn't pull myself away from that TL. By chance, there was an HAH on the lot. I thought I'd give it a try, but didn't really intend on buying one. It was really nice! But I was still set on that TL. It took rising gas prices to change my mind and make me get the HAH insteaad. Sure, there are times when I see a TL on the road and wished I had gotten one. But I don't regret buying the HAH.

To answer the original questions, I haven't noticed any problems with the IMA at all. Yep, no spare tire. The cheapest fix is to get one out of a wrecked Accord from a junk yard. The OEM fix is to buy the spare tire kit and the actual tire from a dealer at the cost of about $190. And finally, yes, conservatively you can definitely get over 30 MPG. I drive around the metro Phoenix area and my city mileage is usually around 27-29 MPG. If I drove more conservatively, I'm sure I can see >30 MPG. Also, when I drive with an average speed of 70 MPH, my highway mileage is around 35-42 MPG. If I drove slower, I'm sure I'd see better numbers. In fact, once set the cruise to 62 MPH and after 30 or so miles, I was reading in the mid-50 MPG range. Overall, I've been averaging 31 MPG for the past 46,576 miles. I think I'm at about 80% city miles. If I could do more highway miles, my overall MPG would be much better.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:23 AM

Great reposnses. Thanks guys, I'll press him on the HAH. I forgot that he'd have to pay for premium gas as well. I'll make sure he knows.

Cheers, nf

Old 05-27-2008, 04:39 PM
G.H. Contributor
Exclamation Re: Should I recommend an '05 HAH to a coworker?

Great reposnses. Thanks guys, I'll press him on the HAH. I forgot that he'd have to pay for premium gas as well. I'll make sure he knows.

Cheers, nf
nf,

If I am reading your Post (Correct)

You are saying he has to use "Premimum Gas" !!!!!!!!

The answer to that is NO !!!!!!

The Hybrid Accord uses 87 Octane Gas:

Terry

Old 05-27-2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
As far as the TL Acura, Good Luck with it. He/She will Love putting in the 93 Octane Gas and if they do not they will just get to know the Service Department at their Local Acura Dealer very well.
I forgot that he'd have to pay for premium gas as well. I'll make sure he knows.
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
You are saying he has to use "Premimum Gas" !!!!!!!! The answer to that is NO !!!!!! The Hybrid Accord uses 87 Octane Gas
I believe noflash was referring to your quote about the TL needing 91 octane.

However, I don't recall the correct wording in the owner's manual, but it said 91 octane was recommended, but 87 octane could be used with reduced performance. I can imagine the reduced performance would be well worth the cost savings of using regular fuel.

Just an FYI, but the HAH can use 86 octane or higher. I've rarely seen 86 octane. I believe when I was up in Denver I saw 85 octane. I used the mid-grade of 88 for that fill-up.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:39 AM

I was referring to the TL.

Thanks again all.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:18 PM

While I was drooling over the car, my coworker was not. Apparently, he's totally against a USED car. Ah, to be 27 with tons of disposable income again....

I'm now trying to steer him towards a TCH with GS Wheels.

Enjoy your great collector's items, you lucky bastards!

Old 06-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

The NAH or the TCH would both be good choices.

You can save money by going used but you might inherit someone else's problems. Used is a crap shoot, you might get lucky, you might not. New cost more but your odds are better and you have a warranty so even if you get unlucky your car still gets fixed for free.

Quick Reply: Should I recommend an '05 HAH to a coworker?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands