Noise From Transmission Area.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Noise From Transmission Area.

I went to my Honda dealer yesterday about a high pitched noise coming from underneath my 05 Accord. It notice it when I'm on the interstate going about 60mph and on a smooth road. It starts out soft and really gets on your nerves after about 45 minutes of driving. I had to drive for about 2 hours a week ago and it gets really annoying. So I went to the dealer and had them check it out and they came to the conclusion that theres a bad bearing in the differential area and that the transmission will need to be replaced, NOT Repaired but replaced. Service department said Honda won't allow them to repair this problem and that the only thing to do is get a new transmission. The cost of a remanufactured transmission is $5000 or $3100 for one from a junk yard.

Some story, Huh? This may be my first and last Honda because I've never had transmission problems that can't be fixed. Its got 222k on it but why do I always hear of these cars being the best? Story gets better too, they didn't even put a mile on it to find the noise so how do they really know thats the problem? I know they have a stethoscope but why don't they test drive anything?

I even called local transmission shops and they won't even work on these. Has anyone seen this and found it to be something else causing this? I don't know if its worth to keep the car. Besides possibly having the Hybrid battery going out at sometime itsnot worth it. Give me a note out there if you have had this problem. Sorry about so long of message, but I'm angry at honda....

Old 02-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Noise From Transmission Area.

Can you record the noise while you drive and upload it on YouTube?
My car has a serious vibration problem since first year of ownership. And all what the dealer did was to download some software patch to suppress the vibration once it starts.
The side effect of it now the car has much lower IMA assist because the vibration starts mostly when IMA starts to assist.
I think that they can't repair HAH transmission because IMA motor is integrated into it and maybe Honda found that it's very touchy to repair in the field.

I told a long time ago my opinion that one of the reason why Honda pulled this car out of market because some major design flaws besides a weak sales.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

This being a non-repair because of the IMA figures. The Honda dealer didn't tell me that but said that he wasn't ALLOWED to fix it per Honda. He tpold me it would cost $5000 for a remanufactured transmission. I might as well trade this car in because the newer transmission probably won't last another 200k miles. Don't even think I'll buy another Honda.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, this noise sounds like a bearing thats needing oiled. The weather is causing me not to be able to hear it somewhat. There's so much wind and I only hear it when I'm doing highway speed and on a smooth road surface. I know there's a high pitched noise that leaves a ringing in my ear. I'm not so sure what really to do. If I replace the transmission is the car gonna last another 200k miles or is the hybrid battery gonna be next to be replaced. Anyone want to buy a 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid with 222k on it?

Old 02-20-2013, 07:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lebloom
He told me it would cost $5000 for a remanufactured transmission.
Indeed I was told by my Honda dealer that price with installation will run about $5000. But what actually ticked me off that they warranty replaced transmission for 12 month/ 12000 miles.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Now, mine gave me a 3yr or 36,000 miles for the transmission. Thats for only the remanufactured one the used transmission has 6 mos and warranty on parts only. I don't know what to do about this...