Odd buzzing noise coming from radiator area

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Odd buzzing noise coming from radiator area

Just noticed it today. When the vehicle is off but with the key in the ON position (whatever the last key position is before turning to start), there is a noticeable buzzing sound coming from the front of the vehicle. I can't tell exactly where but it sounds like it is in/around the radiator or right behind it. I'm not sure exactly what is there. This is not the brake priming sound and it doesn't stop after a few minutes. At first I was in the car and thought it was an electronic hum coming from the radio. Backing the key out one position causes it to shut off after about a second with an audible click.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Tim K; 05-15-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Odd buzzing noise coming from radiator area

Originally Posted by Tim K
Just noticed it today. When the vehicle is off but with the key in the ON position (whatever the last key position is before turning to start), there is a noticeable buzzing sound coming from the front of the vehicle. I can't tell exactly where but it sounds like it is in/around the radiator or right behind it. I'm not sure exactly what is there. This is not the brake priming sound and it doesn't stop after a few minutes. At first I was in the car and thought it was an electronic hum coming from the radio. Backing the key out one position causes it to shut off after about a second with an audible click.

Any thoughts?
Fan? Stuck Fan maybe?

Old 05-15-2009, 07:24 PM

I was just thinking that my wife was driving today and she had the AC on for the first time this year. Wondering if they are related....

I did check the fan and it seems to run fine. As soon as it shuts off though I can hear the buzz again. It does seem to be coming from the vicinity of the fan. Its definitely an electrical hum but loud enough to hear in the garage or from several feet away outdoors.

Maybe I am crazy but I swear the car used to be nearly dead silent at a stop in EV.

Last edited by Tim K; 05-15-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim K
I was just thinking that my wife was driving today and she had the AC on for the first time this year. Wondering if they are related....

I did check the fan and it seems to run fine. As soon as it shuts off though I can hear the buzz again. It does seem to be coming from the vicinity of the fan. Its definitely an electrical hum but loud enough to hear in the garage or from several feet away outdoors.

Maybe I am crazy but I swear the car used to be nearly dead silent at a stop in EV.
You are not crazy. Mine is quiet. Some relay that isn't closing?

Old 05-16-2009, 08:20 AM

Well, I have a service appointment this Wednesday already so I guess I will add this to the work.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Enthusiast

Sounds like it can be the electrics coolant pump whirrling, circulating coolant to the motor electrics and ecvt transaxle. Just a thought. Mine makes this type of sound when vehicle is in the ON but not started position, or after engine shuts down and is in electric mode. Sounds like it is coming from somewhere in the lower right radiator region.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-20-2009, 12:25 PM

Had the MMH into the dealer today. They heard the noise, checked everything out and said they found nothing wrong. They said they would send an email into Ford's tech center but as far as they are concerned its normal.

On an unrelated note, I was getting a lot of groaning noises from the rear-end. Had them check that out and they ended up replacing the rear shock bushings again (like the old TSB for the squeaky rear suspension).

Old 08-23-2011, 08:23 AM
Enthusiast

My 2005 escape dose the same thing, I unpluged the throttle body and it quits wondering if you have had any further problems or if it still humming and is normal.
-thanks Nick

Old 08-25-2011, 07:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

My 08 FEH does the same thing. On mine it is the MECS cooling pump. The old one was silent, the new one is a little louder but at least it works