Ipod connection?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 09:09 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Ipod connection?

I have the 2006 HAH (non-navi), and just got the iPod music link installed.

It doesn't have too many reviews on the Internet, and most of those are bad (some guy at nuxx.net, if you google for it).

The iPod music link a cable that hooks directly into the back of the stereo and is run into the glove compartment. It still works with XM. It also charges the iPod only while the car is running.

It is only supposed to work with 4th generation iPods and higher (the 3rd generation ones are the first generation with the "dock connector", but have four buttons across the top).

When I had it installed, I didn't realize this difference. Fortunately, in reading the manual, it says, it only works with 4th generation and higher using the "Honda TTS" (more later). The iPod works just fine, but you cannot see what music you are playing either on the ipod or through the stereo. You can switch tracks and albums.

I decided to not listen to Honda and to also try installing the Honda TTS software. The Honda TTS ("Text to Speech") interacts with your iTunes and creates a little navigation voice for all of your Playlists, Artists, Albums, and Genres.

The way it works is as follows: the stereo still thinks the iPod is a 6 CD changer of sorts. If I want to sort by Artist, I go to Disc 2 using the usual method.

I then hold the "Seek" button in for one second.

The Text to Speech Guy begins saying the first letter of all of the artists in my iTunes folder, "A, B, C, D, G, I, J"

If I hear the one I want, I press seek again. If I pressed it after D, and did nothing, it would begin playing the first album of the first artist that started after "D", say, "Dane Cook." But say I really wanted to listen to Dave Matthews Band. after pressing "seek" after "D", I press and hold seek again, for one second. The text to speech guy then says "Dane Cook....Dave Matthews", at which time I press seek after the name to indicate my selection.

The idiotic part is that if I have more than one Dave Matthews album (which I do), I can't repeat the process to select between those, rather, I have to advance through all of the songs individually.

It works this way for Playlists, Artists, Albums, and Genres. You can also shuffle by album and song.

It's kind of neat, there's no reason to keep your eyes on the stereo (which you would probably be doing if you were actually messing with the iPod).

The other reviews I read complain heavily about how long it takes to deal with the iTunes and place the new playlists and text-to-speech sound files on the iPod. It took about 10 minutes to deal with 1 gig of music (I have a 20 gig iPod, I just didn't know if it was going to work with the 3g iPod, so I didn' t put much on there). It didn't seem overly long.

The stereo is super responsive. All in all, there are some mild irritants, but I think I will enjoy it.

Old 03-10-2006, 12:10 PM
Enthusiast

I got my 2006 HAH with the Honda-branded Music Link accessory installed by the dealer. Not sure if this works with pre-2006 models.

It was $400 installed by the dealer. The iPod cable comes out in the glove box, you plug in the iPod there and then control it through the factory radio. No FM modulator, no separate control, no bracket on the dash letting thieves know that there's an iPod in your car somewhere. Also, keeps your iPod charged.

That's the good news. The bad news is that I find the interface kind of clunky. There's no text feedback on artist, song, etc. Only this clunky text-to-speech system that takes some getting used to. You install some separate software to go with iTunes, which makes text files on your iPod. Then, through some fancy fingerwork with the track skip button on the stereo, the stereo starts speaking off all the artist names, or album names, or whatever, that you select.

If you select "disc 1" (pretending it's a CD Changer), you cycle through all playlists. Disc 2 is artists, 3 is albums, 4 is genres, 5 is random shuffle through albums, and 6 is random shuffle all songs.

Anyway, not sure if I am doing it justice here. Overall, I give it a grade of B.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:05 AM
Enthusiast

Well, it figures. I finally broke down and ordered a plain wired modulator for my 05 HAH to get my Ipod hooked up. It arrived today. I went to the Crutchfield site to get installation instructions, and found that they have a product that will work with the factory radio.

Anyone seen this?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rznvBHF...p?I=581PA11HN2

Gregg

Old 06-21-2006, 10:14 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

well.... it works as long as you do NOT want to use your CD changer. You can have one or the other but not both, since they share a plug on the radio.

Old 06-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nimbus2k
well.... it works as long as you do NOT want to use your CD changer. You can have one or the other but not both, since they share a plug on the radio.
I guess with an ipod he wont use the cd changer anymore

But surely sound quality is effected? CD units are sold based on sound quality/connections etc

Old 06-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Enthusiast

How does the wired modulator work? Is there any static?

Old 06-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Well in this case, think of your Accord as a giant set of external speakers for your iPod, same as if you were getting one of those gizmos from BestBuy to plug it into and listen to music, except that it also takes you places and costs more in insurance.

So the "connection" is then going to be only as good as the sound performance of the speakers in your car.

Personally, I don't want a "part" (like a CD player) built into my car that doesn't work. Wel....except for the optional voice-activated self-destruct sequence in mine, but I finally decided to pull the fuse out on that one. Probably don't need it until gas goes back under $.99/gallon.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Enthusiast

I haven't installed the modulator yet. Will post when I do.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Enthusiast

IT WORKS!

I finally got around to installing the modulator. I love it. Nice clear sound. The disassembly was kinda tough but would have been impossible without the directions I found at: http://cheaphondaparts.com/shop/inst...s/AII24379.pdf

The above gets the storage unit out (along with the coin holder and the power socket). Getting the storage unit out is the worst of it. At that point I thought I was out of luck, but at the bottom right of the gaping hole that's left is the antennae connection! Power was easy since the power socket is there. I just left the whole modulator unit in the bottom of the hole and reassembled. I brought the switch out into the coin area. This is almost redundant though since the only station it cuts out is the one you select for the Ipod - so you can leave it powered up all the time.

Sooooooooooo nice to have my tunes in the car!

Last edited by kinger44; 07-17-2006 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:43 AM
Enthusiast

An update:

A little too hasty on the "leave it powered up all the time" comment. Was in the car a lot the last week and I had to power the unit off to listen to the traffic reports on AM radio.

Still sounds great.