HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How to disable iPod upon iPhone connection?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow How to disable iPod upon iPhone connection?

I keep the stereo in my '09 HCH set to AUX, because I like to stream music via my iPhone using Pandora. However, when I connect my iPhone in the car, it automatically launches the phone's iPod music selections which I don't want when driving. This is especially annoying if I'm on a phone call and the music starts blasting. I can't figure out how to disable an auto-launch of the iPod upon connection the iPhone. As soon as I get Pandora up-and-running, it will override the iPod, but it's annoying that I haven't found a way to permanently avoid the iPod launch. I don't want to delete my iPod music library because there are other times when not driving that I want the iPod library. I haven't found any setting that would provide a work-around... any ideas from those who also have an '09+ and an iPhone?

Old 02-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: How to disable iPod upon iPhone connection?

Steve, are you using a 3 band cable to plug into the AUX jack in the car? 3-Band 1/8" cables carry commands to the iPhone, iPod using the 3rd band. If you are using that kind of cable and only want music playback features and not phone or remote-control features, then use a Male-To-Male stereo-to-stereo 1/8" audio cable with only Stereo (2) bands. You won't be able to control the iPod/iPhone without picking it up and using the controls on it, but it should prevent the iPod from launching on the iPhone. The outside source/AUX stereo in your car can't send a signal to launch the iPod feature or send any other commands to the iPhone without that 3-band cable. Plugging in standard headphones won't cause iPod on the iPhone to launch, and neither should a stereo-to-stereo male-to-male 1/8" cable.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: How to disable iPod upon iPhone connection?

I use a standard Apple iPhone (white 1/8") cable to connect to the iPod port in the car. All I want to do is shut off the iPod so that it doesn't automatically launch each time I connect the IPhone, and still allow me to use AUX to stream music from Pandora. Thanks for your ideas!

Old 02-18-2010, 07:36 PM
2nd Hybrid Owner

Crimson - Steve is in an 09 and the 09 has a USB port for the Radio. He is obviously using the USB. I would guess that there is no way to fix the issue as I believe any iphone / ipod automatically starts when reconnected and selected. I did not have that issue as I used a USB memory stick with the songs I liked on it. The civic's random mode played the same 32 songs over and over - I ended up making a random playlist and renamed all the songs from 001.mp3 to 999.mp3 (or the total the memory would hold) and stored them that way. The mp3 id's displayed the correct title and artist so the rename file is not a problem.

I think the only way he will be happy is to delete all the songs from his iphone and use an iphone touch for his music.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Enthusiast

Ok, here is a wild idea Steve. Sorry I misunderstood what kind of cable you were using. If the plug on the 09 is USB, get a Micro or nano Bluetooth USB receiver and plug it in. You can then transmit bluetooth audio from the iPhone to the USB receiver in the car. The Bluetooth receivers don't cost much at all(Between $4-$29), and are powered by the USB naturally. I actually believe this might work! Just make sure you get a USB Bluetooth dongle that supports Bluetooth streaming audio profile and try to get a major brand like Belkin, Kensington, etc.)
Again, this goes back to the commands system Apple uses. The Bluetooth will allow ALL audio from the phone to transmit through the receiver blindly and it can't send any commands back to the iPhone to start up your iPod features.
The USB is a standard, so there shouldn't be any issues there. The Bluetooth Audio and the way it transmits USB should be driverless(on a PC) and also standard. So it sounds reasonable that it would work in your situation.
Hopefully the dongle will be driverless(as I believe most, if not all of them are) and will use a standard pairing code like 0000 and when your iPhone detects it, and you enter the code on the iPhone, it will connect up.

If it works, then awesome! If not, your not out too much money and maybe it can be returned to where you buy it.

Last edited by CrimsonCivic; 02-19-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by larryr
Crimson - Steve is in an 09 and the 09 has a USB port for the Radio. He is obviously using the USB. I would guess that there is no way to fix the issue as I believe any iphone / ipod automatically starts when reconnected and selected. I did not have that issue as I used a USB memory stick with the songs I liked on it. The civic's random mode played the same 32 songs over and over - I ended up making a random playlist and renamed all the songs from 001.mp3 to 999.mp3 (or the total the memory would hold) and stored them that way. The mp3 id's displayed the correct title and artist so the rename file is not a problem.

I think the only way he will be happy is to delete all the songs from his iphone and use an iphone touch for his music.
Larry, maybe try my suggestion also. Let me know if it works!

Old 02-21-2010, 06:28 AM
2nd Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by CrimsonCivic
Ok, here is a wild idea Steve. Sorry I misunderstood what kind of cable you were using. If the plug on the 09 is USB, get a Micro or nano Bluetooth USB receiver and plug it in. You can then transmit bluetooth audio from the iPhone to the USB receiver in the car. The Bluetooth receivers don't cost much at all(Between $4-$29), and are powered by the USB naturally. I actually believe this might work! Just make sure you get a USB Bluetooth dongle that supports Bluetooth streaming audio profile and try to get a major brand like Belkin, Kensington, etc.)
Again, this goes back to the commands system Apple uses. The Bluetooth will allow ALL audio from the phone to transmit through the receiver blindly and it can't send any commands back to the iPhone to start up your iPod features.
The Radio USB only can see Iphones/Ipods and USB memory devices (mp3 players that can be seen as hard disk if not from Apple). Nothing else is recognized. USB hubs are not recognized either.