IMA light came on

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Enthusiast
Default IMA light came on

It might have started with a big container of little herbicide pellets that opened up in the trunk of my 2005 Accord hybrid. It went all over the inside of the trunk. I drove around with that stuff loose for weeks before noticing it and cleaning it up.
Two days ago, the IMA dashboard light came on. I vacumed the air intake in trunk and back seat area. I had the radio on as I was doing it. Then I disconnected the battery to see if the IMA light stayed on. It didn't come back on, but I couldn't reset the clock and the radio doesn't work either. Everything else works, although the IMA blue assist seems to act differently (it could be my imagination). I'm not sure if there's a filter clogged with the pellets or if there is a IMA problem and I wonder if I blue a fuse when I disconnected the battery with the radio on and key turned so the radio would play.
If anyone can make sense out of this mess, I'd appreciate your help
tks

Old 08-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA light came on

Phone your Honda dealer for the radio code. H

Old 08-12-2012, 05:40 AM
Enthusiast

Update
Tks for the help. I got the radio going again. But the car doesn't drive quite as before. The blue assist lights hardly ever comes on, whereas it always was coming on and off showing level of assist. Also, my mileage seems to be a few mpg better than before! At least that's what the computer shows.

My question is could the dashboard information not be working properly or be accurate because of the original error light for IMC lighting up (it's off since I disconnected battery) or do the readouts have to accurately show what's really happening with the electric assist system? It's crazy because if the assist isn't working as much, my mpg with the 6cyl gas should be a lot worse than before!

Could it have anything to do with the catylitic converter?

I could drive it more to see if it heals itself, but my inclination is to take it in for analysis. I'm planning to take car on vacation in a week.

Last edited by rsswg; 08-12-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:41 AM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: IMA light came on

HI....so now I am curious to know how goes it? What is the result finally after the long journey?

Better fuel economy or worse?

From what you describe, I don't see how the pellets could've changed anything other than that it might've clogged out air outlets that can be at spots where they put them. From what I remember, there is only 1 air outlet in the trunk and that's towards the right hand side area. You will definitely see it...it is obviously there and I believe that's it.

As for the IMA system, it is either working or it isn't. The ASSIST per say should've have changed the way it help with the performance or fuel economy. It is all foot work and the state of charge of the hybrid battery.

Anyways I am sure everyone here wants to know more....so kindly provide feedback so that we can keep this thread going and see.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

BTW rsswg, did you fix the IMA light problem? If so...how was it done? Honda dealership and checked it out?

Old 09-01-2012, 04:11 AM
Enthusiast

The short answer is that I never found out what caused the IMA light to go on.
I cleaned the air intake and got the light off by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting again. We were taking car on vacation so we didn't want any problems. Although the IMA lite stayed off, the IMA display seemed to work differently than before. The blue assist only came on only if I about floored the gas pedal (the battery charged up fine, like before). So I took it to a shop that works foreign cars and classics, which i trust alot. They found that when I disconnected the battery, the computer memory about the IMA light was erased, so they couldn't learn what set it off in the first place. And checking out the car showed no problems to fix, only routine maintenance. Frustrating but my own fault.
We drove 2,000 miles on vacation with no problems. The blue assist gradually came back during the trip to function like it used to. I'm pleased, but scratching my heard as to what happened.