HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

IMA light came on

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default IMA light came on

Hi hope someone can help. My IMA light came on today. just that not the check engine light just the IMA light. i went to 3 different auto zones to have the codes pulled and it did not detect anything (no codes found) but my IMA light comes on 5 seconds after i start the car. we even checked it while the car was running and the IMA light was on still no codes. i have a 2003 HCH is there another port i am to plug the scanner into when the there is an IMA problem? any help would be great
thanks.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA light came on

Hi, The G.G.! I just got off the phone with the dealership with the same issue! No "codes thrown". Except that the service dept couldn't get the light to come back on. A very vexing problem. (My problem is more vexing than that, but I'll start a different thread for that.)

Can ANYONE explain how the IMA light might come on and not generate a code for the computer? Or, what it might mean even without a code to steer us?

Old 07-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

how old is your 12 volt battery? if its older that 2 years change it ,even if its still start your car,and read out ok ,it deteriorates from the unseen end,that its never fully charges just 80 to 90 % using 14 volts all the time and mpg suffers, not performance mode, just recently someone in the beginning had the same problem no code,12 volt battery turned out to be dieing, even if its not that, that battery its is the heart of your hybrid system, controls the computer, the ima battery surport it ,its the cheaper fix as they run as a unit

Last edited by aqua; 07-27-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick and good response, aqua!

Man, we're lucky if any starter batteries last 2 years here in Phoenix. But, that's part of the puzzle - this battery is brand-spankin'-new! (Put in car by AAA 2 weeks ago, manufactured in May 2010.)

Another piece of the puzzle - the starter battery was put in the day after a "new" IMA battery pack was put in (at the dealership). The car wouldn't turn over THE NEXT DAY! (It has required a couple of jumps since then.)

More pieces: the IMA light, the ABS light, and the "brake" light have all come on at various times in the last couple of weeks.

Dealership got an 81-01 code (ABS, sensor) off it today, but couldn't get any other codes. They also couldn't get any of the lights to come on this a.m. - I'm thinking it is only after the car has sat for several hours.

The dealership first recommended (said that Honda's tech line recommended, actually) the ABS pump modulator. After I had a long discussion with them, they took it out again, did some more research, and concluded that it is the starter battery. (Your conclusion, too, aqua!)

The battery is still under free replacement warranty, but AAA is going to fight replacing it (again) and it is going to test fine. I'm debating whether to buy a different battery and do some comparing.

BTW, it is a '04 HCH, with 151,000.

Thanks again!!! (any other opinions welcome, too)

Old 07-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

really a hard problem, when you say the its would've turned over you are talking about the electric motor trying to start it as nothing happening ? because i heard that they have a regular starter if your ima battery system is not working or disable, what you could is turn on the key till the dash show and listen for the turn on and off click of the safety 140 volt cut off switch of the ima pack, its behind the back seats,,but still a 12 volt battery cant go dead over night,the first step it to try another battery and eliminate that notion,then its who or what taking the juice as over night loss eliminate the charging systems as full battery should last for a fews days then died in not being charge, if you want to put a real battery in you can fit a sear platinum 740 cca in the car stat p-5 35/500035 740 cca 100 rc it 185.00 at sears http://www.ziddu.com/albumview.php?auid=291650

Old 07-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

on the other hand a abs can cause battery loss read here as iam going into the mall now I could check later using apple laps. http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...&pstart=1&b=11

Old 08-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Great Gazoo
Hi hope someone can help. My IMA light came on today. just that not the check engine light just the IMA light. i went to 3 different auto zones to have the codes pulled and it did not detect anything (no codes found) but my IMA light comes on 5 seconds after i start the car.
Contact me privately (by email) and I'll send you the diagnostic steps to correct an IMA light with no codes.