Idea: solarcells + HAH

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast
Default Idea: solarcells + HAH

I've been playing with a difficult to implement but amazing idea for HAHs. The battery's only source of power comes from either inertia or engine power. I think a little energy diversity will do more justice to the term "Hybrid" than it already proclaims.

The Idea: Why not mount solar cells to the top of the vehicle. Simply attach a bicycle mount on the top of the car but nothing more that the square frame that mounts to the roof. Then Macgyver a solar panel to it semi cosmetically running wires to the batt. If there was a way to augment the computer language to recognize another source of energy (if requred) many improvements could spin off from it:

E.g. Engine off sustained A/C, Optimal battery charge from ignition, Better hwy performance by minimizing charges.

I realize that solar doesn't provide that much power but to the very least it could act as a beefed up battery trickler or just extend discharge times.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Idea: solarcells + HAH

I believe there are Prius' that are already doing this. I'm sure it won't be long until someone mass produces a solar grid as an option for the Prius. But there probably won't be enough interest in the HAH community to justify it's cost to produce a working model for us.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

Quentin, an idea i had also. I believe that BMW has already produced such an experimental vehicle. I think it would be great. You drive the HV battery to the ground, then park your car while you shop and voualla, you have a full charge again. I think the rear deck on my NAH can accomidate a full size solar cell generating 123 watts in full sun.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheSpoils
Quentin, an idea i had also. I believe that BMW has already produced such an experimental vehicle. I think it would be great. You drive the HV battery to the ground, then park your car while you shop and voualla, you have a full charge again. I think the rear deck on my NAH can accomidate a full size solar cell generating 123 watts in full sun.
Its not a BAD idea... but at 123W its going to take a GREAT DEAL of shopping to get even halfway to a partial charge again.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Enthusiast

Quentin, I like the idea. There are flexible PV panels available so I could drape those things all over my car (hood, roof, trunk). Might look pretty silly but prototype experiments sometimes do!

Another thing I've been wondering about (only wondering mainly because of the likely high cost) is getting another battery pack (or two) and put it (them) in parallel with my existing pack. Figure out a way to fully charge all packs when the HAH is parked at home - this shouldn't be too hard. Then you'd have a lot more assist available. But, not knowing anything about the IMA battery system and software (which determines how much charging/discharging) is allowed, I'd probably just mess things up. Still, it'd be neat to use more IMA and less gas engine whether just trying to up the MPG or possibly getting more assisted accelerations!