Regen (chrg) sometimes asleep?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default Regen (chrg) sometimes asleep?!

Because I (luckily) have a company vehicle I can drive around, my HAH (or other vehicles) don't get driven a lot. But, I've noticed something that I feel is not quite right with (I'm guessing) the HAH software. Usually, I see chrg bars when I let up on the accelerator. And of course, more bars if I start to brake. This recovery of kinetic energy makes me happy!

But, I've also noticed another thing that happens much less often (luckily). What I'm about to descibe happens after the car is warmed up and conditons appear to be "normal". Letting up on the gas pedal, nothing happens - no chrg bars. Then depressing the brake pedal - NOTHING happens!?! My speed isn't to low and I'm not driving in a way that I can relate to this situation. I have learned that if I'm going to be in a coasting condition for a short time (say coasting down a hill or a long coast to a stop ahead), and I see NO chrg bars, giving the car a quick accelerator input seems to "wake" the system up and I get the chrg bars back. I hate heating my brake rotors when I should also be charging my battery pack!!

Anyone else notice this quirky behavior?

Old 08-04-2008, 01:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Regen (chrg) sometimes asleep?!

It seems normal. I see it too. I guess the car has a decision making process that dictates when it regens or not. I don't know anything about how it decides this, so I'm only guessing, but perhaps some variable in that equation is keeping the car from going into regen at that exact time. I've also been known to touch the accelerator to get it to go into regen when I have a very long decel coming up.