HID Xenon Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 02:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default HID Xenon Headlights

Has anyone installed the High Intensity Discharge Xenon Headlights in there HAH? I was thinking about salvaging a pair from an Acura. Would it would be a simple install. I haven't looked at a schematic or wiring diagram but it would be nice not having to splice

Old 02-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HID Xenon Headlights

I think the stock headlights produce ample amount of light in the HAH. If it's the white light you're looking for, try the Sylvania Ultrastars. MUCH cheaper and a whole lot easier than swapping in some HIDs from an Acura. I've owned a TL with HIDs and don't notice any appreciable difference in lighting between the TL and HAH.

But, if you really do want to tackle the HID conversion, I doubt it would be anywhere near simple, as the headlamp socket where the HIDs would install into aren't the same from the TL to the HAH. It would require quite a bit of modification and plastic molding. Obtaining a wiring diagram is the least of your problems. Electrically, the hardest part would be mounting the ballasts, the wiring would be practially the same. Perhaps, if you do want to do this, also salvage a set of headlamp assemblies from an Accord and do a practice job on them. That way, if you damage them beyond repair, your car is unharmed. And, you can do this to hone your plastic molding skills until you're ready to tackle the job on your own headlamp assemblies.

If you do decide to do this job, post pics!

Old 02-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Enthusiast

If I could see both assemblies, maybe. But complications tend to make me . Although, it wasn't really the brightness I was looking for. I just wanted next set of lamps to be LONG lasting. I hear the HID's outlast conventional hal by 10X. I need to hunt down some assembly manuals.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just installed a set of the Ultrastars and I think they look pretty good.

I also have a question. I replaced all outer light front to back and my left turn signal flashes at a double pace, why? The right one is normal but the left flashes twice or three times as fast. Do I have bad bulb?

Tell me why did they make replacing them bulbs so difficult compared to an American made car?

Old 02-08-2009, 04:06 PM

Oh, well if longevity is what you're looking for, then stay away from the Sylvania Ultrastars. They've been getting about 1 year of usage before burning out, on average.

Take a trip down to your local junkyard and see if they've got some late model TLs you can check out.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Not to get off of the subject but I also have a question. I replaced all outer light front to back and my left turn signal flashes at a double pace, why? The right one is normal but the left flashes twice or three times as fast. Do I have bad bulb?

Old 02-09-2009, 08:27 AM

that is what it normally means. check your lights, turn on each light and see if one is out.