Shopping HAH's

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Shopping HAH's

HIya all, I'm looking for an 06+ HAH with lowish miles.

What should I look out for and what foibles should I be aware of aside from the usual used car ones?

Every one still happy with theirs? It sure seems like ultimate Accord-mpg's and can still get out of it's own way. Thanks!

Old 02-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Shopping HAH's

There's really nothing that I can think of to tell you to avoid. Overall, this is a great car. Of course, a few have had some issues. But compared to other cars, this is a very reliable car. The issues most have had are very minor. The biggest repair I've heard of is someone had to replace their catalytic converters. Of course, that was covered under the emissions warranty.

I have an '05 and I haven't had to pay for a repair (non wear and tear) yet. My driver door lock, 12V battery, and a couple TSBs were all done under warranty. I'm now at 58K miles and am running smoothly. Besides the normal fluid changes, the wear and tear items I've done are front/rear brake pads and tires. The rear pads were toast at 57K miles, but the front still had plenty of life in them.

Good luck in your search! Let us know what you end up buying. And, don't hesitate to come back here with more questions.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have an '06 HAH and overall it is a great car. I have had only one trouble with this car in two and half years of ownership and that was addressed by a TSB. There was one time when ABS, VSA activation and VSA lights came on and stayed on until engine was turned off and on again. ECU code indicated malfunctioning ABS solenoid but solenoid tested just fine. So dealer simply reset the code. Couple months later there was a TSB about the exact same problem and it said it is the VSA control unit that is faulty and needs to be replaced. Dealer took care of it and I have not had that happen again. I am a little foggy on details but I can try to dig it up if you need the details.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok, crunch imw. I found an 07 loaded nearby, 30k miles(a tad high), nav and 100k warranty. Looked at it at night but it looked near mint save for a couple days ago, she tapped something in the right rear bumper and it has a slight crazing in the paint. I told her NOT to paint the pearl while as it will never match.

Anyway, she's asking 18k which is at the top of the market save for dealers listing them at retail #'s. Opinions?

Old 02-15-2009, 02:09 PM

$18K doesn't seem bad. And 30K miles is about average for an '07, since that model year has been around for two years now. If they bought it during the first half of the model year, then their mileage is about right on. If they bought it was the end, then the miles could be considered high. However, resale markets don't base the price of the car on what time of year the car was put into service.

You didn't mention the details of the extended warranty. Is it the 48K extended and 100K drivetrain? I think that's the typical 7yr/100K plan. I doubt the drivetrain will ever need warranty work within 100K. The 48K may cover a few of the problems you've already heard discussed in these threads. Like, the power locks and ABS sensor. And you still have the 7yr/80K hybrid components warranty. Although, I haven't heard of a single HAH that's had IMA repairs that needed to be done. Hope it stays that way.

If it's the car I want, even with the paint blemishes, I'd take it. Maybe you can talk her down $500/$1000 for the damage to the rear? But maybe not. If she doesn't budge, she may be holding out to see if someone else will buy it at that price with the damage. You could always try offering her a bit less and if she turns you down leave her your phone number and tell her if no one else buys it within the next month to reconsider your offer. Good luck.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, she's had it advertised for a while now. She said she owes about that much on it although I don't too many people that are right side up on much these days of deflating prices. Also it seems odd that she's dumping it for an SUV she prefers and that her mom will miss it.

Stealers are asking book retail, about 21k, around the country but would sell for whatever these days no doubt. I'll take a wad of $$ with me on the test ride and make my play for 16500. It seems a shame that the model I decide on still is rare enough to be a sellers market. Love the o7, nav and sunroof as well as the color. Dang, I may be buggered $$wise!

Old 02-15-2009, 08:43 PM

I forgot about the price vs. 'how much owed' angle. It's kind of hard to negotiate with someone that doesn't want to come out of pocket to sell a car. It's understandable though. I wouldn't want to "pay someone" to buy my car either. But, like you said, give her an offer. Maybe since she's been sitting on it for a while, she'll bite.

I like the rear end of my '05 better. But I would love to have a sunroof (only available in '06 & '07).

SUVs are a smart buy right now!

Old 02-16-2009, 06:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

True enough about someone who can carry 2 car payments by herself. And I've rarely found an open minded nurse, much like teachers, so we'll see how she does to an offer.

Oddly, I prefer the 07+ rears but think overall, this iteration is one of the worst looking Accords ever(go ahead, flame pants are on). Shows true devotion to the enviro. Inside though is one of the nicest of cars in almost any category.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:58 AM

I agree. I liked the older Accords better. But, this shape does grow on you. I'm still not sure how I feel about the '08/'09 Accords.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

I like the new ones but overall the Honda line and even acuras need a bit of Pininfarina or Guigiaro help.