Gas tank size on the HAH

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Enthusiast
Default Gas tank size on the HAH

All,

The spec. on the HAH gas tank is 17.1 gallons.

However, I notice that my "about to be empty" light comes on and if I fill up right then, I use a little over 13 gallons. Does the light come on 4 gallons before empty or is my gas gauge off or is the tank not really 17?

I also noticed the last time that the range displayed on the trip computer was more in line with having about 2 gallons left which would put me around 15 - 15.5 or so.

Any info.?

Thanks,
Wes

Old 09-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Gas tank size on the HAH

Wes-

I've got a 2005 CVT-based HCH but I thought you might like to know. I filled up my tank tonight with 0 bars left (there's a pic in the HCH share section) and it turned out only 11.3 gallons of my ULEV 13.2 gallon tank were used. Guess Honda would just rather be way way safe than way way sorry.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

my light comes on at the same point- 13gal burned down from '1st click.' If I fill it up then, it takes almost exactly 13gal, and the FE gage works out to almost exactly the same. My FE gage tends to be within .2mpg of hand-calculated, so I feel like its a well-correlated observation. Many others have mentioned 13gal before, too.

I have taken my car almost 3gal beyond that (took 15.8 to 1st click) with no problem. So without pushing the edge to find out for real, my take is that yes, the HAH tank is pretty close to the advertised spec- to my complete surprise. Its nice to know that I have almost 2 days' of commuting left after my light goes on! And knowing that my FE gage is pretty acurate, I feel comfortable determining range remaining from that now.

As for capacity beyond '1st click'...I've put in 1 gallon above it. Xcel has gone to the neck on one or two HAHs- he can definitively tell you how much it will take.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by helterskelter683
Wes-

I've got a 2005 CVT-based HCH but I thought you might like to know. I filled up my tank tonight with 0 bars left (there's a pic in the HCH share section) and it turned out only 11.3 gallons of my ULEV 13.2 gallon tank were used. Guess Honda would just rather be way way safe than way way sorry.
HAH has a needle gage. Does the HCH have a bladder like the Prius?

Old 09-06-2005, 06:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gonavy
HAH has a needle gage. Does the HCH have a bladder like the Prius?
Yeah, we start with about 20 digitized bars I guess and it unlights them as we burn fuel.

Old 09-06-2005, 07:29 PM

Hi Weyus:

___Your AH should hold a touch above 18.566 gallons from top off to fumes. This is about 1 gallon less then the PZEV although I have no idea as to why this is the case?

___G&B’s AH had a NAVI and I drove her 6 miles into the --- range (6 miles beyond < 0 miles). Some Accord NAVI’s have an ~ 30 mile reserve from --- at ~ 50 mpg while others have only 5. With that, 18.5 is a good number to calculate from after a top off in my experience. For the non-NAVI, 100 miles beyond Low Fuel is close to the limit when near 50 mpg over that last 100 miles although I have taken my own Accord to 130 beyond and did not run out.

___GoNavy, how did you know

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-07-2005, 05:29 AM

Wayne-

above 18.566, eh?

Life was so much easier before digital readouts gave 'precision' to everyday life. I'll be sure I put that last 3.7886mL in the tank (oops, I rounded off).

As my dad mentioned- We made it to the moon on analog sliderules; we missed Mars on Pentium chips. Not entirely correct, but good enough point.

Just kidding. You're a nuke, right? I'm very GLAD you insist on transcribing all the information! Let the end user make the appropriate roundoff.