'06 FEH tank sender & size questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Enthusiast
Question '06 FEH tank sender & size questions

My 2006 FEH was a salvaged vehicle. The fuel tank was removed for an extensive period of time. The tank no longer reads full when full. It only goes to slightly less than 3/4 full on the guage and I get full tank readings of about 375 to 395 miles to empty with running mpgs in the 33.5 to 35 mpg range. Yesterday I took the FEH to local FEH dealer and the tech played around with the sending unit but it still does not read full when tank is full. A new Fuel tank sending unit is another $550 installed. I am wondering if the tank is not getting full, or if the fuel sending unit is hanging up and not indicating completely full. Does anyone know if the "fuel to empty display' is separate from the "fuel tank guage"? or is it simply doing math on its own based on what it thinks is in the tank? I personally or an insurance company will be paying for this stuff so I am not interested in the local Ford dealers remove and replace philosophy, we will replace the tank, sender and pump ... There are least $4000 worth of repairs that did not appear in the first estimates of damages which it turns represented only about 20 to 30 percent of the real costs of repairs...

If I do simple math 15 gallons x 33 mpg I should get a 495 miles to empty reading with a full tank, and if I am actually only getting the tank 3/4 full then 3/4 x 495 works out to 371 miles to empty... So now I am really puzzled, is the guage reading accurately, and I am not getting the tank full,? or is the tank full and I really have 495 miles to empty... What do you think? I can afford to play around with a few tanks of gas to see how far they are really going... or do I get on with it and order and shell out $600 to get a new sender installed???

What are other members getting as an indication of full tank of gas and miles to empty?

Rocky near Edmonton

Old 07-12-2008, 06:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: '06 FEH tank sender & size questions

If you look in the photo section you will see 600+ miles for some of our posters. GaryG has a post with over 700+ miles to empty photo.

I do not know why your vehicle fails to read full.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Default Re: '06 FEH tank sender & size questions

It sounds to me like the tank may have been mishandled or the accident may have damaged the float arm and filter. This would effect your Miles To Empty reading because your never going to show a full tank. At 0 MTE there is still 1.3 gallons in the tank so do the math on what you can add from that mark. In other words at 0 MTE you should be able to add 13.7 gallons to top the tank at 15 gallons. Sometimes this is still hard to do if the vehicle is on any kind of slope.

With a damaged float arm, it may not be allowing you to fill the tank completely. The workshop manual states you need to be real careful not to damage the float arm when removing the fuel pump module. It's up to you if you want to spend the money to replace the assembly, but that sounds like the problem.

GaryG