Fuel Economy Lower than EPA ratings

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 09:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default Fuel Economy Lower than EPA ratings

I have a 2019 Honda Accord Hybrid. I purchased it new. I have about 40,000 miles on it. The EPA mileage is rated at 48 Highway/48 City. It achieved those ratings in the first year but declined soon after that. It now gets about 35 MPG on average.

It does not matter how it is driven. I drive very conservatively, using mild throttle up hills and utilizing the EV mode down hills and on flat roads. I use my paddles. I turn as many electrical accessories off as possible according to the time of day. I do not use the heated seats or heater unless truly needed. I always roll the windows up. In the summer, I used the A/C but I am told by a senior engineer at Honda the compressor is very efficient.

I have been to two dealers and both claim there is nothing wrong with the vehicle, as no trouble lights are illuminated. I have been told outside air density is the issue, along with wintertime fuel blends having less potential energy. I believe air density is a factor and I can see it lowering the economy this much. I suspect it is the fuel. Speedway 87 seems much more efficient than Shell 92 based on fuel mileage comparison under similar conditions.

My tires are in good condition, but that may be a factor according to my Honda engineer friend. This may be true, but my tires still have life in them, and this has been going on since the second year of ownership. Long before the tires had considerable wear.

I am kind of at a loss. I love the car, but this isn't easy to reconcile. Plus, Ohio charges $100 annually because, in theory, I purchase less fuel and need to pay my fair share of road taxes. Several non-hybrid achieve the same mileage and do not pay the tax. So in summary, I paid more for this car, do not enjoy the EPA mileage claims, and pay more every year on taxes.

Any thoughts? 48 versus 35 is considerable.

Last edited by jay.vitali; 02-15-2023 at 09:12 AM.