Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 03:58 AM
Enthusiast
Default Battery

I have accord hybrid 2006, when I tried to work the car in the morning there was no battery no ignition, I called a friend who charge it to me and it was Ok, at evening when I want to go home from work after like ten hours, when I iginition the key it stayed arround 8 seconds doing nothing and then the motor works usually. The other day in the morning, it did it again, I put the key in the switch and turn it on, nothing goes for seconds and then the mototr starts. Does anyone have an answer to this> please reply. The car condiotion is in excellent shape and it has only 45000 mile.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery

My best guess would be the 12V aux battery is not holding a charge. Your symptoms match the ones I had prior to putting in a new battery. Actually Honda replaced mine under the new car warranty.

If you are good with a voltmeter check the battery with the key in the off position prior to any attempt to start the car. A nice number is going to be around 12.4+. If it is anything under 12 it is weak and if it is in the 11's or 10s your not going to get a start at times.

Your description is of a 12V that is right on the edge. The door lights and everything coming on knock it just below the threshold and then it gets a little chemicial bounce and has enough voltage to satisfy the requirements for the IMA computer to start the engine. The IMA battery actually starts the car except in really cold weather, which is why the weak battery suddenly seems fine.

Could be something else but this is "best guess" over the internet and a pretty cheap fix (around $65 DIY). Make sure you have all the radio and nav codes before you disconnect if you DIY.

Around $150 dollars will put in a better AGM battery like Toyota uses and it will be better matched to the dc/dc converter output voltage.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery

I suspect the 12 v battery, too. I had odd symptoms, not exactly yours, but similar, and it turned out ($300 later) to be simply a bad cell in the traditional battery. So I'd recommend checking that first.