Is your HAH mpg reading correct?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default Is your HAH mpg reading correct?

Hey there,

I'm a new HAH owner and this is my 1st post. I just bought a used 2005 HAH w/o nav, and 65K miles. With my 1st gas tank I was a bit surprised to find out that the mpg display said I was only averaging 31mpg combined city+hwy driving (I thought that it would be higher)... So I decided that I wanted to find out my mpg the old-fashion way to confirm that the mpg display was correct. So after I filled the gas tank I reset the trip odometer and the mpg display for trip A. After a week of commuting to and from work the mpg display = 30.8MPG. I filled up and divided the total miles driven by total gallons and got 29.6MPG!? so my actual MPG was 1.2 mpg less than the read on the dash! I wanted to find out if anyone else has ever noticed this discrepancy??? and why is this? check your HAH and let me know.

Thanks

Old 12-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Default Re: Is your HAH mpg reading correct?

Both my 2003 Civic Hybrid and my 2010 Insight have always calculated about a 5% higher average MPG than the actual calculated mileage. It's not an issue because the MPG displayed is only an average anyway.

The only way any vehicle could give you a precise MPG reading is if you drove the vehicle over the same terrain, at the same speed, under the same environmental conditions, etc., over the entire tank of gas. In other words there are just to many variables to calculate a precise reading.

As for the mileage itself, 30 MPG isn't too bad for a car with a V6. If I recall correctly Honda always marketed the IMA in the Accord as more of a performance enhancer than a mileage enhancer.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

My 2006 HAH also tends to display higher mpg than I get by calculating. I calculate mpg by hand every time I fill up. I tend to see error around 3%.

Just as another data point, my HAH gets 38-40 mpg on all highway driving. My daily city commute is only 7 miles but it is on city streets with traffic and lots of lights. 75% of miles on my car are from city driving and my overall average after some 35,000 miles is 28.3 mpg.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Enthusiast

thanks... that makes sense