Home Charging Discuss Home Charging here

Charging an EV with a solar system

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 03:32 AM
Enthusiast
Question Charging an EV with a solar system

Hi All,

This is my first post so apologies in advance if this topic has been discussed in detail before.

I live in Spain and do not have a connection to the national power grid (Iberdrola). My house is powered by a 24v solar system consisting of 8 panels and 12x2v 750Ah batteries + invertor and charge controller. My question is would I be able to charge an EV at home with the current system? I´m looking at the Dacia Spring as a possible entry vehicle into EVs which has a battery capacity of 26.8kWh. I have calculated that my solar system batteries when fully charged have a capacity if 18kWh but I´d only be charging it during daylight hours for obvious reasons!

Would it work or am I going to have my system tripping out due to an overload on the current drawn?

I´d welcome any comment.

Regards

Gary B

Old 07-04-2022, 08:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Charging an EV with a solar system

Originally Posted by Gary_B_22
Hi All,

This is my first post so apologies in advance if this topic has been discussed in detail before.

I live in Spain and do not have a connection to the national power grid (Iberdrola). My house is powered by a 24v solar system consisting of 8 panels and 12x2v 750Ah batteries + invertor and charge controller. My question is would I be able to charge an EV at home with the current system? I´m looking at the Dacia Spring as a possible entry vehicle into EVs which has a battery capacity of 26.8kWh. I have calculated that my solar system batteries when fully charged have a capacity if 18kWh but I´d only be charging it during daylight hours for obvious reasons!

Would it work or am I going to have my system tripping out due to an overload on the current drawn?

I´d welcome any comment.

Regards

Gary B
The short answer is probably not.

The long answer is, it depends on how much you drive and how much surplus power your system has.

Internet says battery is 26.8kWh.

Your house batteries are 24V*750Ah = 18.0kWh, which only 50% is usable.

You didn't specify your panel power, only panel count. You didn't specify your consumption either.

Assuming you have big 400W panels, that's still only 3200W of power and likely only about 16kWh/day of average production if you have decent solar conditions.

You could only charge with any surplus energy that you don't consume.

Old 07-27-2023, 10:47 PM
Enthusiast

EV charger

Old 08-05-2023, 05:29 PM
Enthusiast

How about charging stations?

am not sure the solar will give it the right power it needs consistently