Home Charging Discuss Home Charging here

Can a Tesla Mobile Connector charge a 2013 Nissan Leaf on a 240V 50A circuit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 02:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default Can a Tesla Mobile Connector charge a 2013 Nissan Leaf on a 240V 50A circuit?

Can a Tesla Mobile Connector charge a 2013 Nissan Leaf on a 240V 50A circuit?

I have a model 3 and a 14-50A Tesla Mobile Connector.
My wife has a 2013 Nissan Leaf as a neighborhood get-around..

We have just moved and are looking at home charging options.

I wonder if the following is a viable option:
Electrician installs 60A 240V circuit.
Charge the Tesla on the Mobile Connector <-- I'm certain this is OK
Charge the Leaf with J1772 adaptor on the Tesla Mobile Connector?

Is this last a valid way of charging the leaf?
We are not talking about an EVSE here, but the Tesla Mobile Connector, unless the Tesla Mobile Connector is also an EVSE?

Any thoughts, or has anyone tried something like this?

Old 08-21-2023, 11:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Can a Tesla Mobile Connector charge a 2013 Nissan Leaf on a 240V 50A circuit?

I think I can answer my own question here. Might be useful for someone else.

So, the Tesla Mobile Connector is fine to connect to a NEMA circuit and charge your tesla with.
It is also ok to connect to a Leaf and charge the Leaf. The leaf will draw as much power as it needs. It doesn't matter that the available current is 48A - if the Leaf wants 27.5A, that's what it will take.
The only difference is in the situation where your leaf has a fault and for some reason does allow a higher amperage from the charger. This is extremely unlikely, but if it were to happen, could destroy your car.
In this case, wall EVSEs often give you the option to output a certain amperage.
So, you can set your EVSE to 27.5A for the Leaf, then raise to 48A for the Tesla.
Then, even if there was a fault, your leaf would not take on excess charge and not be damaged.

Other than this edge case, the Tesla Mobile Connector seems to be a good option to use for everyday charging on a NEMA circuit.
(I am not an electrician and this is just my opinion based on some online reading.)