Tightening Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 06:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default Tightening Bolts

The '12 has developed some clunking/thumping sounds in the front end, so I pulled the wheels to check things out and found the ball joints and tie rod ends in good condition. But I had changed the front struts last year, so I got out my 1/2" torque wrench and gave a tug on each of the bolts holding the strut to the spindle and a couple of them turned. This is the same wrench I use on my lug nuts (set to 80 ft lbs), so that's about how much torque those bolts have now. I put a 14mm on the stabilizer bar links and couldn't budge them at all, so they are very tight.

While I was under there, I tightened each of the four subframe bolts. They're 17mm, and two of them turned a little bit. I had a Lexus some years back and tightening the subframe was one of that car's required service items.

Then got up top and checked that each of the strut top mount bolts were tight, and all are good.

The result? Nice reduction in those clunking noises and car feels a little more solid going over the bumps now. Good idea to go back and tighten those bolts after changing struts and also check the subframe bolts.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tightening Bolts

06-11 HCH motor mounts wore out pretty readily. Wouldn't expect the 12 to be any different.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:04 PM
Enthusiast

Very good point, I replaced the first motor mount on our '06 after seven years and the '12 was a very early HCH-III car whose ten years in-service anniversary will be in October of this year.

The mounts cost more now than they did a few years ago, but probably a worthwhile investment since we have a lot more miles to go with the '12 ..

Old 03-26-2021, 08:59 AM
Enthusiast

S Keith is right again ... the mounts on the '12 were mush and the car is transformed with new ones installed. Unfortunately, this time it cost over $500 for the parts, but absolutely worth the money and scraped nuckles. Now I wonder how long before the ones on the '15 go south ...