HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Your AC may be on, and you don't know it

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 07:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Your AC may be on, and you don't know it

Originally Posted by msantos
Folks;

I really don't have good mileage at all compared to some of you, maybe in part because I drive mostly in a city environment, 5 month long winters... dips to -40F ... and my trips are generally well below 10 miles in distance.

However, I do have my climate control in "Auto" all the time. Perhaps, my long standing belief that this is the best setting for some of us is not totally misplaced. The key is to have the optimal temperature dialed in and let the system do its work, especially when it needs to. It worked for me last summer and has been working this way up until now - even through the winter. Now, if I can still get a lifetime of 46.8 MPG (average) in the conditions I mentioned, perhaps there is some merit to leaving it on Auto and play the temp setting game? Makes sense?

Nevertheless I agree, that the climate control system's behavior and interface could use an intuitiveness improvement.

Cheers;

MSantos
You should do what makes you happy.
Now that you know the climate control system gobbles up more gas, if you are at peace with that then so be it.

I'm not saying everyone must do what I do.
I'm just spreading the word about the design so everyone can make a better-informed decision.

Last edited by kenny; 06-14-2007 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:51 AM

I think it goobles up gas for a reason. The IMA system has to be kept at a safe operating temp.? If the system was not kept at a safe temp, we would be replacing the IMA system more frequent. Only my opinion,H

Old 06-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

The one thing I would add here is that it's fair to ask *how much* the AC is on. In Auto, the system uses outside air when possible and pretty unnoticeably cycles the AC as needed. (Usually only the electric side of the compressor, so you feel no "drag" or horsepower loss as the compressor cycles in and out.) If the outside air temp is 70, the car interior is 72, and you set the dial to 70, yeah, it's going to run the AC a bit -- but maybe for 15 seconds every three minutes, and only the electric stage. If the outside air temp is 85, the car interior is 75, and you set the temp to 75, the compressor will cycle quite a bit more, but still it won't be running all the time. (And you can feel the blowing air get cooler and warmer as it switches between AC and outside air to maintain 75 degrees in the car.) If you're using the AC to try to cool down the car instead of maintain a temperature, your compressor is going to run pretty much constantly, and the gas stage will probably be running to, and you'll feel the drag on acceleration, and you can feel the gas stage cycle in and out.

So all that just means that it's not a simple on/off calculation: just because it *can* run the AC without notification doesn't mean that it *always* is, and how much it does is going to depend on temp setting and interior and exterior temp. If it *is* running the AC, it's only because your temp setting is below what can be maintained with outside air only. It sounds like Kenny sets the temp to low to get the coolest possible outside air in (no heated air from the engine mixed in at all), and unless the AC is manually set Off, it's backfiring because the car runs the AC in an attempt to reach that low temperature setting.

I'm bugged by the lack of notification if AC is on or not; I'm more bugged by combining the mix-air control (how much outside/cold versus how much heated) and temperature control, since it creates the very problem Kenny's running into by setting the temp control to Low.

--doug

Old 06-14-2007, 02:43 PM

Right on Doug! If you don't want A/C, move the temp higher.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Folks;

I love it when I see people thinking.

Despite the obvious shortcomings and design constraints of the system (which Kenny so kindly pointed out) it is quite possible to almost "have the cake and eat it too". I think we're getting there.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 06-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I usually go for optimal FE rather than optimal temperature! This is just me, though. If you do use A/C, then yes be aware of how much you are using it. No need to make it colder than the point where you will start to sweat. Also, as it has been mentioned, get all the hot air out of the car before you get in if possible, then start the temp at a higher number, and as it gets cooler cycle it down. If you make it real low right away the compressor will have to work quite hard... Just some ideas?

Old 06-14-2007, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Harold
Right on Doug! If you don't want A/C, move the temp higher.
To each his own but I'm not sure that's quite the advice I'd give.

I'd prefer if my 2006 had a design like my 2004 HCH where the fan was not connected to the heater or the AC.
The fan was the fan.
The AC was the AC.
Turning on the fan did not secretly turn on the AC.

With the HCH2 design advising to raise the temp setting to avoid AC use starts a cat and mouse game between you, the car and the varying outside temp.
The car is going to try to maintain whatever temp you set it to, high or low.

If you want to not use the AC you HAVE to press the AC button till you see AC OFF in the display.
Stupid, but true.

Also I'd let go of the idea that AC means cold.
If it is cold outside or raining and you want to heat up the car and defog the inside of the windows in any car you can turn on the AC and and set the temp setting to high.
The AC will not make the air cold, only dryer, which defogs the windows.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:13 AM

I believe the IMA needs some cooling in order to function properally? I remember last summer some of the HCH2 owners in Texas were operating without the IMA because it was too hot, and the system shut down. I think the only way you will prevent the AC from comming on is to take it out. Then your warrenty may be void Enjoy it!!!

Old 06-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think (atleast for me) the issue simply is information. I don't have a problem with the system needing to turn on the AC at times. I would just like to be informed about it. If there was no way to provide that feedback ... that would've been a separate story. But here we have a fancy display ... why not use it and let me know if the AC is running ... even if it runs for only 2 seconds a minute.

The weather has warmed up here only the last couple of weeks. But for about 2 months before that I was driving around with the AC going not knowing about it (and not needing it).

Old 06-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Enthusiast

I never use climate control. I roll the windows down to cool things off at low speed and I leave AC OFF displayed all the time. It's not that bad. And I never have to think about checking to make sure the air conditioner is off.

I would like to know if anyone makes a mesh seat cover. (Yuck! sweaty back!)

Kathie

Quick Reply: Your AC may be on, and you don't know it

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands