HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Your AC may be on, and you don't know it

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Your AC may be on, and you don't know it

Notice how both HCH1 and HCH2 (the third and fifth bars) both are averaging 46 MPG in the GreenHybrid database:

I believe the reason is the poor design of the HCH2 climate control system.
[EPA rated the new one 2 or 3 MPG higher than the old one.]
I have 2 years of experience with the 1st generation 2004 Civic Hybrid, and 18 months with the 2nd generation one, my 2006.

Even when the HCH2's climate control is NOT in the AUTO mode the air conditioner turns itself on when you wouldn't expect it to - and you may not even be aware of it.

Example: In my 2006 HCH2 if the temperature setting is set lower than the outside temp and the whole system is off and I reach for the fan dial you'd think that ONLY the fan would come on. (not the AC).
But the AC DOES come on, even though the display displays nothing.
You'd think the display would read "AC ON" when it turns the AC on.
Also, unlike my 2004 HCH1, there is no green AC LED to let you know the AC is on.

I know the AC must be coming on because the car gets very cold.
Plus if I then press the AC button the AC goes off, which is proven by the air coming out of the vents is no longer cold and the display reads "AC OFF".

If I ONLY want to turn on the fan I have to turn on the fan, THEN turn off the AC by pressing the AC button once. :doh:

Stupid design.

I believe many HCH2 owners are driving around with their AC on and don't even know it.
I only figured it out because my temp is set to the lowest possible.
People may have the temperature setting set closer to the outside temp so they would be less likely to notice that the AC came on.

Last edited by kenny; 06-13-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Your AC may be on, and you don't know it

Maybe you just have a poltergeist in your HCH. You know, the wandering spirit of a dead being that interacts with the living. That could be the reason for the temperature changes inside your car.

Honda doesn't like to admit it, but many of the Civic Hybrids have displayed paranormal phenomenon. Something about being built in Japan then shipped to the U.S. really irks the demons. I think there's a TSB on it, so check with your dealer.

If he can't fix it, you can always call the Witch Doctor.

"Ooh eeh, ooh ahh ahh, ting tang, walla walla bing bang."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seriously, I noticed that, too. I just didn't care because it's so hot in Texas.

Last edited by 1stpik; 06-13-2007 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:31 PM

Ohhhh a demon possessed hybrid?

Yikes!

Well I think I have a good demon in mine.
He is apparently pushing my car to help my MPG.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

no, kenny is right. THe AC is on pretty much all the time unless you specifically put to AC off. A better design IMO would be to turn on the AC automatically once outside temps reach >85. I actually almost always run the AUTO setting cause I need fresh air, even if the outside temp is in the low to mid 60s.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:20 AM
Enthusiast

I've not had my car that long, but I set the climate control to AUTO and then press A/C OFF. Then when you adjust the temperature control to a lower setting, the fan speed will increase.
I don't believe that in this mode the A/C kicks in, since the display keeps saying A/C OFF.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:51 AM
HypoFueler

Thanks Kenny -

I am sure I have assumed that the AC was off when I hit the AUTO button for a cabin temp that I thought was going to be warmer than the outside air but really the AC was still on.

Probably need to get in the routine of hitting AUTO then the AC button to verify its off when I want it to be?

Yep, Honda should have put an AC ON idiot light in.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:22 AM

Just a note.
I *never* use the AUTO mode.

I have no idea what happens with that.

Fortunately I live and work near the beach in Southern California so I never use the AC.
I only use the fan.

It is absurd that turning on just the fan also secretly turns on the AC, with no display and no LED to indicate the AC is on - especially in a hybrid designed for MPG.

Absurd.

Last edited by kenny; 06-14-2007 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:44 AM
Enthusiast

Since I don't like having 13 posts on the forum:

I agree that this is a non-hybrid friendly design.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

From my experience so far ... the only way to ensure that the AC is NOT on is to press the AC button till you see AC OFF. If you turn off the system (press the OFF button) and then try to turn on just the fan (rotate the fan ****) ... the display doesn't say anything about the AC and that means AC ON

So if you use climate control or not ... if you want the AC off ... make sure the display says so.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:22 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by kenny
Just a note.
I *never* use the AUTO mode.

I have no idea what happens with that.
Folks;

I really don't have good mileage at all compared to some of you, maybe in part because I drive mostly in a city environment, 5 month long winters... dips to -40F ... and my trips are generally well below 10 miles in distance.

However, I do have my climate control in "Auto" all the time. Perhaps, my long standing belief that this is the best setting for some of us is not totally misplaced. The key is to have the optimal temperature dialed in and let the system do its work, especially when it needs to. It worked for me last summer and has been working this way up until now - even through the winter. Now, if I can still get a lifetime of 46.8 MPG (average) in the conditions I mentioned, perhaps there is some merit to leaving it on Auto and play the temp setting game? Makes sense?

Nevertheless I agree, that the climate control system's behavior and interface could use an intuitiveness improvement.

Cheers;

MSantos

Quick Reply: Your AC may be on, and you don't know it

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands