HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

are you still having rear tire wear issues a year after upper control arm replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 09:18 AM
Newb
Default Re: are you still having rear tire wear issues a year after upper control arm replace

That'll be part of my new car routine from now on... And probably not done at the dealer. I also have a '92 Miata that I upgraded the suspension, exhaust, brakes, etc. and I have this pro I go to for its alignments. The guy will adjust it down to the exact figures I give him. I should have gone to see him with the Honda. Oh well, too late now for these tires... The next tires I will get are the Yokohama super e-Specs.

I do agree with you Mendel, that it's probably the toe that killed the tires and not the camber as they are not worn out that much but are terribly cupped. It's strange that in response to that, Honda is replacing the upper control arms to reduce the negative camber. Anybody here got the adjustable upper control arms? which ones did you get? suggestions/warnings?

Thanks,
Daniel

Old 10-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: are you still having rear tire wear issues a year after upper control arm replace

The next tires I will get are the Yokohama super e-Specs
We just replace our From-The-Factory Bridgestone Insignia SE200-02 with Bridgestone Ecopia EP20. The tread pattern of the new tires looks identical to the FTF tire. Rolling resistance on par or slightly better, kinda hard to tell since they are so new. Feel is very similar too. I took them up to 40~42 psi.

Prius in our area are coming stock with the EP20, fwiw.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 10-24-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Enthusiast

I had purchased Toyo Extensia A/S tires on my 2006 HCHII. The tires were very inexpensive and had a 65,000 mile treadlife. My car previously had Kelly Gold Navigator. I didn't notice any difference in fuel economy between Kelly and Toyo.

The 2010 Prius does come with the Bridgestone Ecopia. I used to run 38 psi on my HCHII. I haven't raised the psi on my Prius.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Newb

Originally Posted by dborn
...Interestingly, both my rear upper control arms have the "C" markings but these markings have different fonts one side from the other! The right side has a more "serif" font and has a within-spec -0.7deg camber. Now the other side has a much simpler-looking "C" and this one has a -1.7deg camber!...
Just to set the record straight, this weekend I put my winter tires on and noticed that the two different "C"s are on both arms, one on the front and one on the back... So much for THAT theory...

Anyway, still no news from Honda about that out-of-spec arm though.

Daniel