HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Went over 1 mile in electric only yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 01:29 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast
Default Re: Went over 1 mile in electric only yesterday

Originally Posted by Ahhnuld
If this is the case, then why do I actually hear the gas engine accelerate as well as see the rpms increase? The same question stand for when I release the brake and the engine cuts back on. I know I am burning fuel, becuase I can watch the mileage drop when in stop and go traffic or idling at a stop with autostop not engaged.
I'm pretty sure that anytime you're "accelerating" you're not in EV mode and so the engine is definitely running. It's ****ed hard to get the car to gain speed (at least, on the level) in EV mode, and it isn't going to be more than a few mph if you do. So I think you might just not be clear on when your car's in EV and when the gas engine is running. The tach won't tell you. (Especially since with the CVT there's virtually no correlation between actual road speed and engine rpm. Pretty fun watching your rpms drop while your car speeds up, which the CVT can make happen seamlessly.)

Any time you're moving away from a stop, the engine is on -- as you say, when you release the brake at autostop, the engine *always* restarts (if it ever doesn't, you're going to need a mechanic); and when you're idling without autostop, the engine is *by definition* running (since it's not stopped) -- of course you hear the engine and your gas mileage is affected by fuel consumption in these instances.

That's different than when your car is in EV mode, not consuming any fuel. You can hear the difference between when your engine is *turning but not running* (in EV mode) and when your engine is *running* (as in, consuming fuel and generating emissions) by doing this:

Take your car out in your neighborhood and put all the windows down so you can hear a bit of what it sounds like from the outside. (Try to drive next to some parked cars so more of your own car's sound will bounce back at you.) At 20 or 25 mph, release and then feather the throttle 'til you're in EV (charge/assist showing 1-4 bars of assist, instant mileage indicator pegged at 100 mpg -- if you don't have this combination of indicators, you're not in EV mode) and listen to how the car sounds. Then *gently* take the car out of EV by pressing a little harder on the gas, just enough to make the engine refire while running at about the same speed. Hear the difference? There's always noise from the engine compartment even when the engine is only turning, not running. But it's a different character, and you totally lose exhaust noise when the engine is only turning in EV.

Sorry for the length here.
--d

Old 05-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You explained it well! Thanks , Doug

Old 05-29-2007, 05:23 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Went over 1 mile in electric only yesterday

I am confused over this. Anytime the car is running, the gas engine registers rpm's which climb, even when IMA shows any bars. How does one get the gas engine to stay off? As soon as I release the brake from a stop, the engine starts back up and stays on, regardless of level of acceleration or grade of road.
Here is the most down to earth Article written by a Member of www.CleanMPG.com

Read this and I think it will get you up to Speed on your HCH II.

Click on Link Below:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/artic...h-ii-1306.html

Hope this helps:

Terry (tiger)

Old 05-30-2007, 02:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

If this is the case, then why do I actually hear the gas engine accelerate as well as see the rpms increase? The same question stand for when I release the brake and the engine cuts back on. I know I am burning fuel, becuase I can watch the mileage drop when in stop and go traffic or idling at a stop with autostop not engaged.
You can't take off from a stop in electric mode. It's a feathering-of-the throttle procedure when moving under certain circumstances. You may have had it happen and not known it. The procedure is explained well in other threads, but it's not neccasarily conducive to enhanced economy, as the depleted batteries have to be recharged with some penalty. But it is fun