HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

The warmer it gets, the better my commute is!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 06:33 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: The warmer it gets, the better my commute is!

I finally reached 60 MPG plus on two of my 80 mile morning commutes this week from home in Southern Rhode Island to Boston. I'd flirted with 60 before, but this week was the first time in 30K of driving I made the mark. It would have been three mornings but for five miles of stop and go one day. Besides what were probably perfect temperatures (high 70s/low 80s) and a tail wind, I also made several lights I usually have to stop at. Several less starts from a dead stop makes a big difference, even trying to as gentle as I can off the line (and as gentle as Boston drivers will allow). I also had my 2nd 600+ mile tank, with the last bar on the fuel gauge disappearning after the 600 mile mark had been passed.

I'm working hard to get that green "hypermiler" star next to my car listing in the database. I got the car in December, so I started at the low end but have steadily worked my way up. I think that figuring out that the AC is on by default using the AUTO setting on the climate control will help this winter (I prefer the car cool, but hate the thought that I had the AC on in winter)! Despite my preference for cool, I've avoided the AC this summer unless the weather has made it impossible to keep the windows open or the windshield clear. I've been lucky, however, in that the temperature has only reached the 90s a few times this year. Could not do it in the hot places so many of you are from.

While off topic, I've been wanting to add that I'm finding driving much less stressful since slowing down in order to max out my MPG. I had been pretty much a 75 mph outside lane guy but have been trying to top out at 60 mph with the HCH II. Maybe needing to leave slightly more time for the trip has also taken off some time pressure. For whatever reason, I'm having a blast with the car and thanks for all the tips on how to get the most out of the HCH experience.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RI-brid
While off topic, I've been wanting to add that I'm finding driving much less stressful since slowing down in order to max out my MPG. I had been pretty much a 75 mph outside lane guy but have been trying to top out at 60 mph with the HCH II. Maybe needing to leave slightly more time for the trip has also taken off some time pressure. For whatever reason, I'm having a blast with the car and thanks for all the tips on how to get the most out of the HCH experience.
I agree. I was thinking about that the other day. I don't feel like I'm battling traffic anymore trying to be the first one there. I'm having more fun and it's less stress! And here I was worried that driving an "automatic" transmission was going to take away the fun of driving...

BTW, I just had a "best ever round trip mileage score" of 73.7mpg over 22 miles driving to the airport and back! It's the perfect drive for the HCH--slight downhill for 10 miles where you can glide almost the entire way. The climb back up is gradual enough that you can maintain 50s on the iFCD. Best of all, the lights are widely spaced so you can usually go 3+ miles without having to stop for a light.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:09 PM

I'm always thrilled when people talk about how driving a hybrid has changed their driving styles and slowed them down, made them calmer, and so on- I find that kind of story so encouraging, and I really do think that driving to maximize fuel efficiency is a habit that leads to safer driving, overall. The simple difference that a bit less stress 'to get there first' makes! .... it's amazing!

Driving in nice weather makes it even more zen, if you ask me. I've had amazing numbers lately- a stormy few days with a lot of extra headlight/wiper use and temperature drops back to highs in the mid 70s have made my mpg dip slightly below 60 for the first time in three tanks of gas. Come back, dear Sun!

Old 09-14-2007, 01:41 PM

I find there's an optimum temp range for max FE. It's more of a bell curve that's skewed to the right. Here, where it's around 110 degrees, my FE is definitely lower than when temps are in the 90s. I've been averaging 26-27 when I usually get 27-29.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:26 AM
Enthusiast

Well,

What summer temps in New England giveth, fall temperatures taketh. There were a couple of mornings with temps in the 50s and my mileage was back to 53-55 mpg instead of 58-60 mpg. Sorry to our northern brethern -- not saying it was cold, just colder than the salad MPG days of summer! Trying hard to get my historical MPG up to "hypermiler" status and provide a buffer once mileage returns to the high 40s.

Again, I'm much more relaxed driving than in the past, but I want that star!