HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Tranny started "holding back" after fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Tranny started "holding back" after fluid change

Hi, I had a B13 service the other day at The Acura Honda Connection in San Jose the other day. This includes the tranny fluid change. The 2007 model has 31,000 miles. This shop is a highly rated Honda service place, with much lower prices for service than the dealers.

One thing I noticed, though, is that when you let off the gas now, it "holds back" and slows down much more than before, almost like the brakes are dragging. The brakes aren't dragging, I checked them with a infrared heat sensor. It holds back like my Escape hybrid in low gear. This takes away from the free-wheeling when coasting to a stop sign, downhill, etc.

Has anyone noticed this after a tranny fluid change? Might it be caused by an incorrect fluid type?

Old 06-28-2008, 07:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tranny started "holding back" after fluid change

That does not sound right. Should be no change in coast unless they forgot to add the oil! Hope you checked? How about wheel bearings? H

Old 06-28-2008, 08:25 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Are you sure they didn't adjust the time pressure downward?

Old 06-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by medicmike
Are you sure they didn't adjust the time pressure downward?
I asked them to set the tire pressure to the max on the sidewall. They "kick hard", so it's not tire pressure related.

Is there a dipstick for the tranny? I assume so, but I've never messed with this car much

Old 06-28-2008, 01:08 PM

Yes Brian there is a dip stick. Look on the right side of the engine. If the oil is dirty or smells burnt, change it. Look down behind the battery and you will see the yellow handle of the Dip stick.H

Old 06-29-2008, 12:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

It smells a little burnt, is clearish-yellowish (is that the right color for this CVT?), but it was supposedly changed with the B13, and they said it was. I wonder if they put in the wrong fluid, if that would cause it to behave that way

Old 06-29-2008, 07:58 AM

It is posible they put in the wrong fluid? Honda did change the type of fluid used about a year ago. The cvt is a hard one to figure out, because when you drain it you don't drain it all! In otherwards it is still 1/3 full of old oil. Some machanics drain and fill three times. They run between each fill. If the oil smells burnt, then they probably should have given it the three times method? There are some old threads dealing with this problem. Try a search. I would be taking the car in for a check. H