Time to change Auto Tranny Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Enthusiast
Default Time to change Auto Tranny Fluid

2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid AWD, 30,500 miles.

Hi gang,

I'm planning to change my Auto Tranny fluid this weekend. I know some may think that's early, ridiculous, not needed, whatever. And yet... I'm still going to do it.

The manual specifies mercon fluid. Well, Ford has discontinued regular old mercon and has gone to the mercon V spec. I purchased Amsoil ATF, which is compatible with BOTH mercon and mercon V. So I think I'm ok on the mercon/mercon V issue.

My question is about the continuously variable transmission. The manual says don't get the motorcraft fluid for CVTs. Doesn't that seem weird seeing that my MMH has an eCVT? Is an eCVT so much different than a CVT and therefore takes regular old mercon instead ATF for CVTs? The amsoil atf says it isn't for CVTs either.

I guess that the manual is correct and even though I have an eCVT, I shouldn't use ATF for a CVT.

Anyone run across this problem/issue?

Thanks!

Island Mariner

Old 11-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Time to change Auto Tranny Fluid

NO--DON'T do it. You have a hybrid that uses an electronic CVT as transmission. The fluid in it is good for 100,000 miles.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply BillyK,

I'm aware that it has an eCVT. I'm fairly comfortable under the hood. I have the shop manual, which lays out the steps clearly and has the following specs for the fluid:

Material Item Specification MERCON® Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid
XT-2-QDX (US); XT-2-LM12 (Canada) MERCON®

It appears that your concern is that the existing fluid is good for 100k and therefore I'm changing it early. I agree that I'm changing it early. I don't see any potential harm in changing it early as long as I have the correct fluid.

It seems stange to me that an eCVT tranny would NOT use an ATF designed for a CVT. Ours, to be clear, specifies regular old mercon - I just don't understand why.

I appreciate your concern, though.

Island Mariner

Last edited by Island Mariner; 11-28-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:25 PM

Track down Mark Smith on this site as he is a professional mechanic and can provide up to date information.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

It's better for mother earth if you wait till 100,000 miles....

Old 11-29-2008, 07:38 AM
Active Enthusiast
Location: New Jersey. Land of high auto insurance and pollution.

Its a little early for me to be thinking about changing our tranny fluid. About 6 years early :O but I was also thinking about using either Amsoil or Royal Purple when I do the change. I think Island Mariner's biggest concern, and mine as well, is is it safe to use these other oils? With our old Hyundai if we didnt use the Hyundia or Mitsu branded ATF our warranty was voided.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:30 AM

The e/CVT has no frictional drive components such as clutches or bands, nor does it have the metal to metal "contact" drive belt as in an ACTUAL CVT.

Personally I wouldn't chance it at all but if you insist then I would suggest, STRONGLY suggest, not using ANY aftermarket product.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:55 AM

Just my opinion but if you're going to change the fluid on something as specialized as the eCVT while still under the warranty period (and before the recommended interval), I'd only go with the same fluid used at the factory and recommended (in writing) by at least one Ford Service department manager/leader.

If something fails in your eCVT after you changed the fluid to something else, you're going to get a fight and you better have lots of data on your side. Ford will have thousands of eCVTs that have more miles on the stock fluid to point to. I would expect them to thoroughly inspect/diagnose the failure and your fluid will be on the short list.

I know that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure but in this case I'd be very cautious.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:36 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

The fluid in the eCVT is for lubrication and cooling purposes only, for this reason I would change it every 30K. It has NO FILTER. The Amsoil ATF is a synthetic ATF fluid which is just fine for the eCVT. Like wwest stated there is no drive belt or metal belt like Honda and other CVTs have. The Mercon V fluid is a synthetic ATF, this is the primary difference between Mercon III and V. Ford wants to use the synthetic fluid to help extend the life of their normal auto transmissions and it is a much superior lubricant.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Time to change Auto Tranny Fluid

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
The fluid in the eCVT is for lubrication and cooling purposes only, for this reason I would change it every 30K......

Did we not all buy this hybrid to be greenER??!??

Quick Reply: Time to change Auto Tranny Fluid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands