HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Sudden SOC Loss?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 07:20 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Sudden SOC Loss?

Originally Posted by gfcrane
I am beginning to think the computer program outsmarts itself in my 07 Civic. Last week while stopped at a light the battery gauge dropped instantly from 5 to 1 bars and I had no battery assist for the next few minutes. It took maybe five miles before the charge came back to 5 and normal operation. Today I drove about 4 miles and parked for an hour. When I parked, there were 4 bars on the gauge. When I started the car the gauge went up to 6 for only the third time since I bought the car. Halfway home it suddenly dropped to 2, no assist, and it did not want to charge. Drove another mile and the gauge was up to 4 with everything normal.

I went to the dealer on the first occasion since I was headed that way. The service writer of course had never heard of the problem. Told me to drive it until there was something wrong they could identify. The first problem sounds similar to those reporting possibly due to high temperature. The second has me baffled but I intend to drive it until it stops.
How hard do you drive the car, Gary? You can give description and/or average mpg. It's been my experience that it's hard to avoid draining the battery via A/C and assist during moderate-to-heavy accel. You have to develop a pretty light foot to keep the state of charge at 6-8 most of the time. Or do mostly highway cruising.

Still it seems like the experience with the changing SoC is pretty variable from people's descriptions. And perhaps it not all due to driving style / condition differences.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
Strange thing happened yesterday and today. Driving normally, then stopped for a few minutes. Restarted and all is fine... until a few minutes later the SOC meter instantly drops from 6 bars to ONE. No auto stop and no assist.

Only thing I can think is that it's related to the high temps we suddenly have here (So. Cal). It was 100 degrees both days. Guessing the battery decided to shut down to protect itself. Strange, because I did have the A/C on (rare for me!!) to 80 degrees. Perhaps when the car sat (in the shade) it warmed enough to cause this to happen?

Has anyone in hot climates (Phoenix?) had a similar issue?
This summer I have had to park outside a lot (over 100 most days it seems like). What you describe has been happeing to me frequently all summer.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dogarm
Still it seems like the experience with the changing SoC is pretty variable from people's descriptions. And perhaps it not all due to driving style / condition differences.
I would venture to say that hit happens more frequently when babying it than driving "aggressively". I had more SoC drops on my 59mpg tank (city/suburban commuting mostly) than on any mountian driving where the batteries are stressed.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Enthusiast

My driving is all in town with a pretty light foot but no serious attempt at super mileage. The temperatures lately have been from 90 to 100 during the day and the air conditioner runs at all times. The car has 1,200 mi and nothing strange happened until the last 200. Normally, the SOC is from 4 to 5 bars. I have never seen it above 7, and this only three times. It never stays there longer than minutes. To date, mpg has averaged about 38.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:59 PM
mpk
Enthusiast

Only seen it once in 4500 miles. I guess the recalibration is not a common occurrence.

Last edited by mpk; 05-08-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

When this happens to my car, it always happens in the same *place*. I live at the top of an 1800 ft hill with a 7% grade. Climbing this grade at highway speed usually results in 4000 to 4500 rpm on the tach and no boost from the IMA. About half way up the grade, the SOC will start ticking down from 5 bars to 1 bar, dropping 1 bar per second. At the top of the hill, the car will not charge for several minutes, and give no assist. It has never happened anywhere else. Temperature does not seem to be a factor either.