HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Spoiler wearing paint off of the trunk lid. What we must do!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Spoiler wearing paint off of the trunk lid. What we must do!

sorry for the poor time management. here is what it looks like:

taken 07/17/2007; I took delivery of the car 06/31/2007...
Name:  ps07172007.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  13.9 KB

taken 09/02/2007
Name:  ps09022007.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  14.0 KB

same side of the car, just looking different directions. someone should have told the photog to get them from the same place....

Old 09-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Enthusiast

yep. I've go that too... thanks for the photos

Old 09-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cawfebug
yep. I've go that too... thanks for the photos
so far, EVERY HCHII that I've covertly looked at has this problem. I saw on in the parking lot at dinner and there are two in the 'hood. (I am reluctant to ruin peoples dinners or intrude into their home life just because of my OCD.....) For a total of 4 HCHII's that I have personally seen with the issue. Just to be scientific & all.

I assume the more reports the better the solution will be.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had this at delivery and only 63 miles on the odometer. Screw you, Honda!

Old 09-19-2007, 07:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

This was part of a bunch of complaints I took to the dealer, they have had the car 2 days now, I don't know exactly what they have/are doing yet but they have assured me they are taking care of all my issues. HOWEVER, the driver window fix will have to wait a week or 2, seems there is a shortage of the parts needed to fix it.
By the way, my hch has 2,500 miles on it.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

By the way... My dealer told me they had "heard" of this problem but never seen any.
My guess is many people have not noticed it, or feel like it is normal wear & tear or something they did.
My dealer also indicated that they are "aware" of greenhybrid.com don't know what that meant exactly.
They repainted the trunk lid, added a spacer to the spoiler so it would hold tight and not do this again (funny they knew how to fix it without ever seeing it before, maybe Honda told em how?).
The bottom line, they told me that partarcilar repair cost Honda just over $800.00, (clearcoat, pearl paint is expensive) I am guessing they hope you don't notice.
If you have this problem, I would suggest you take it to your local Honda dealer and get it fixed pronto before they figure out a way to make it normal wear & tear.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Energy Independence

I WAS going to take my car in for the 1st recall, and the window regulator replacement, at my B1 service interval (and had even made the appointment). I WAS going to show them MY trunk-lid/spoiler paint issue at that time. That WAS late August. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to postpone all of that until now. I did get the B1 service done at the quickie-shop set up as part of my Honda dealership service area.
So yesterday, I get both recalls done, and the window regulator replacement, and showed them the spoiler paint issue. They got most of the work done yesterday, but were waiting on a part, so I did not pick the car up until this afternoon. Yesterday afternoon, they told me (over the phone) that Honda (nor this dealership) had any record of such spoiler/paint issues, and they offered me touch-up paint . Like that's going to fix the problem The service advisor was nice to me over the phone (although I probably wasn't so nice to him). I told him I'd like to speak to the service manager when I pick up the car (which was today). So last night I went on a crusade through GreenHybrid's site, looking for and printing all relevant blogs (many of which I participated in), polls, etc. about this spoiler/paint issue. I wrote up a little summary about my discoveries. That, along with about 50 printed pages of blogs *might* be enough to get them thinking that this is not just me and my car. The summary I wrote is attached.

-- Fast forward to pick-up time this afternoon --

All the recall work, etc is done. No charge for even the center console lid, whose cheap plastic clasp had broken. Good. I saw the service advisor, and asked to speak with the service manager. Shortly, we were all 3 peering at my spoiler. The service advisor stated that this was the first one he'd ever seen. Hard to believe, but I have no reason to doubt him. He seemed genuinely interested and took some time with me. I gave him the 50-page pile of GreenHybrid articles, and my cover letter. I pointed out the 2 CASE numbers that I know about regarding this issue, pointed out the 48 members reporting this same issue, and proceeded to show him selected PICTURES that several had uploaded showing the same problem. He took two pictures of mine. I think he's a little more interested now. I explain that the hybrid's spoiler is attached at the ends using clips rather than bolts, and that this may be a contributing factor. He unscrews a couple fasteners on the felt underside of the trunk to take a look - sure enough there are 2 clips on each end.
I explain what some dealerships have tried, and that every case seems like it's the first time Honda's EVER heard about it - which just can't be true. I'm still not sure I've convinced him to pursue this any further, so I ask him if there are other hybrids in for service today, or even on the new/used car lot. The service advisor runs to check on the cars in service for the day (don't remember the results of that search), as the service manager and I check out the new car lot. We find one. I'm not sure if there is more than one new hybrid on the lot or not. It didn't matter. This BRAND NEW HONDA CIVIC HYBRID (2007, I think) HAS THE ISSUE. He's visibly stunned. We walk back to his area and proceed with further discussion. Since it was late Friday, he's going to call around on Monday, and try to find out the "real" scoop. He mentioned calling the "tech-line" and other things I don't quite remember (I'm sick today, on top of it all!). Anyway, he seemed like he was earnestly going to try to get an answer for me. Not sure if an answer will come from Honda, since they seem to be dodging this issue quite successfully, but maybe something good will come of this. I asked him to refer to the two case numbers as well as the evidence on his own new-car lot, to try pushing for an answer. I told him that if he didn't hear an answer that was satisfactory, that I wanted to open up a CASE number, too. Not that it appears to matter much, but at least it's evidence of a problem. And believe you me, I'll have so much HARD EVIDENCE, that it'll be difficult for Honda to deny that this issue is THEIRS.
I plan to take pictures of hybrids on new-car lots this weekend to PROVE this is a factory-designed FLAW.

I want to thank everyone that has pursued this with Honda in the past, and even those (like me) that have just reported the issue - if only on this site.
If we cannot get any satisfaction from this, I may ask (as others have) that you report it to a dealer, start a CASE number, and tell us what the CASE numbers are. Honda has been very unwilling to own up to this problem, and are even so bold as to NOT fix it at the assembly line! That makes NO sense, other than the fact that probably 1 in 100 owners would notice this problem and try to get Honda to fix it. Follow the money. It must be cheaper to "deny, deny, well OK, we'll fix it" for that 1 in 100, than it is to redesign the spoiler, or its attachment to the lid.

Steve

Attached Files
Old 11-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

I got mine back and it's been over 700 miles and no rubbing. They apparently tightened up the two screws/nuts in the middle. But no clear-bra, no spacers, no rubber and so far so good. I'll keep updating as life goes on.....

Steve- I took a peek at the mounting & i'll post pics this weekend when I get time to resize & crop. They should help you when talking to others.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I tightened mine last weekend .

Here is a little tutorial on how to do it. It is VERY easy, but still do this at your own risk.
1. Remove the four clips at the top of the trunk with a Philips-head screw driver.

2. There will be three large holes in the metal. The bolts are located through the two circled in the picture. (Only the left bolt is visible though)

3. You will need a 10mm wrench. The screws are designed with an extra length, to be difficult to remove. Unfortunately, I do not have a hollow wrench that can reach over that length.

Fortunately, I found a fix. The screws are not too long, so it's very easy. Instead of snapping the 10mm head on the wrench, lightly rest it on. It should be able to fall off, but not turn on its own.

Next, wrap a small piece of duct tape around the connection to keep it on. You will need to use a wrench extension piece (as shown) to reach the bolt all the way in there.

4. Turn the the right and viola! It's tightened. Be sure not to tighten it too much or it may snap or crack your spoiler, dimple your trunk lid, or even possibly scratch your trunk lid more.

5. Once you are done tightening, put the clips back in and hopefully your spoiler will be a little sturdier.

I hope this helps. Sorry if my terminology is not correct. I don't really know what most tools are called, so I just make names up for them.

PS: I can never upload images to GH. Anyone else w/ mac osx have this problem?

Old 11-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

to further illuminate what giant has posted here are the mounting bits used on the spoiler.
the first is what you can tighten:

the next two are the plastic clips that hold down the outside edges. the first is the clip on the outermost ends of the spoiler:

Name:  outsideedgeclip.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  39.5 KB

inbetween the screw/nut combo and the above plastic clip is another clip:

Name:  insideclip.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  31.2 KB

one of mine looks like this:

Name:  bkokeclip.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  27.6 KB

I don't know if this is how it came out of the factory or if this happened during the repair. But I'll keep you updated on the status of the paint. as you can see it looks much better.

Name:  painted.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  28.1 KB

Last edited by Scuddy; 11-07-2007 at 07:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Spoiler wearing paint off of the trunk lid. What we must do!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands