HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Spoiler wearing paint off of the trunk lid. What we must do!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 06:03 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Spoiler wearing paint off of the trunk lid. What we must do!

TCWill - I concur with Gumby. Check it again, and I'll bet you find it again.

Sparksongs - Sounds like you've got a great dealer! Let me know when they recommend a fix for you...I'd be interested in seeing if it's the same they recommend for me. Who is your dealer and your District Manager? (I'm in Bloomington, IL) Keep us updated!

Old 03-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Enthusiast

Just to bump this thread, I too have the wear on either side of my trunk spoiler. My car is out of warrantee now (bought it Jan 2 2006), but I think if it becomes a recall issue my car will be covered. Otherwise the dealership will probably try to make me pay for it, and I want to deal with it before the clear coat + paint + primer are worn through and rust starts...

Anyone have experience with San Francisco Honda or Marin Honda on this issue?

Old 03-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by steve04
My car is out of warrantee now (bought it Jan 2 2006), ...
Are you sure your car is out of the warranty?

Unless I am wrong, you should have a 3 year bumper-to-bumper warranty for such issues. Anyone else care to verify this? I am covered by such a warranty for the same 3 years.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 03-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's possible he's a mad crazy driver! (IE, milage rather than time.) I am shortly going to be in that category. I'm hoping (but not expecting) to now make it a full year on the manufacturer's warranty. I've had the car for a bit longer than 6 months, and I've got 30,200 miles on it. I drive FAR less per day now than I did the first five months of ownership (20 vs. 250), so I'm hoping I won't hit 36,000 (well, 37,400 or whatever the class action says) by August 07...one full year!

Luckily, my dealer does a 70,000 mile warranty as long as you get the recommended services (and they don't all have to be through the dealer, just documented)

Old 03-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: Spoiler wearing paint off of the trunk lid. What we must do!

Originally Posted by shoebox303
For anyone unfamiliar with this topic, please refer to: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/calling-all-hch-ii-owners-please-check-around-your-decklid-spoiler.10299.html

I just spoke with a very nice person at Honda of America. She said that everyone who is having this issue should do the following:

1. Take your car to your dealer. Show the problem to the Service Manager. Tell the Service Manager you would like to show this problem to the District Manager (this was a 5 minute visit for me).

2. When the District Manager is at your dealer, show the problem to him/her. Tell him/her that you want the problem escalated up the "TECHLINE" (this was another 5 minute visit for me). At this point, the District Manager calls the issue in to the Techline and they actually send somebody (or a team) to your dealer to look at your issue and determine whether it is a manufacturing error, user error, etc. This may take a couple of weeks.

3. In the meantime, call Honda of America at (800) 999-1009, press Option 5. When you get a real person on the phone, give him/her your VIN number and tell them you want them to DOCUMENT THIS CASE and CODE IT AS A PAINT ISSUE. Then describe your issue. If the case isn't documented, it's as if you didn't call. A team of analysts goes through all the documented cases and determines if there is a general thread in the complaints (i.e. a spoiler rubbing on a trunk lid). They act on the issues that show the greatest reoccurrence.

These things will get us the most attention. Let's get this thing fixed!
My 2006 HCH has now developed the 'spoiler wearing the paint off the trunk lid' problem. I have just over 19,000 miles on the car. Going to my dealer this week to address the latest recall problem with the rear seat, going to show them the spoiler problem, and have already had the driver's side window problem that other owners have reported fixed. I'm beginning to lose a little faith in Honda - I still love the car, but . . . . .

Old 03-25-2007, 11:13 AM
HypoFueler

Just purchased HCHII in Feb 07. Have not noticed the paint issues with the spoiler yet on my silver car.

I have noticed however, that the center 1/3 of the leading and trailing edges of the spoiler were not tight against the trink lid - allowing water underneath and some spoiler deflection. Less than 1mm gap but noticeable versus the edges of the spoiler.

Called for service appointment, technician looked at the spoiler and said they would simply order a new one to install. I will ask to see the removal/reinstallation and will take some before/during/after shots.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast

So I set up an appointment for this morning to fix the battery recall and fix my spoiler. I met with the service manager and walked him through what I need foam etc. After 2 hours they come back and say it is fixed and proceed to tell me that the spoiler issue is normal and keep an eye on it . I am like what are you talking about? Is it normal to where through my paint. Bottom line they confused and looking at the wrong thing. So I now get to go back next week to get it done right. And to top it off they ruined my good tank of 55mpg on 320 miles. Wen t was read to leave I was at 53.1 with 322 miles. WTF!

The only positive is that since they fixed the battery recall I have averaged 66mpg for around 50 miles. I am sure it is a coincident but you never know

Old 04-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Enthusiast

Here's an update on an earlier posting from me re: this issue:

Took my car in to show them the spoiler problem. They ordered a new spoiler, but when they returned the car to me after keeping it overnight, I saw that they had removed the original spoiler, cleaned up the trunk lid, attached the foam tape to the underside of the original spoiler, and retightened the spoiler bolts. There was a note that they had spoken to Techline about it, and that was their recommendation.

I know that other owners have had this same 'fix' done, and I will wait and see how things turn out. It looks fine now, but time will tell. I now have 20K miles on the car after 1 year, so still have some warranty time left. If it happens again, it's back to the dealership.

I will have to say that to my dealer's credit (Leith Honda of Raleigh, NC), they did pay for a loaner car for me while my car was in the shop and were unfailingly nice to deal with. So, kudos to them. However, I have reported this issue to Techline as others have recommended, and the application of the foam tape seems to be the answer that Techline is recommending to 'fix' this issue.

Please, if you experience this problem, post it to this thread so that all owners can keep up with progress and/or resolution to this issue. Thanks!

Old 04-15-2007, 05:49 AM
Enthusiast

So my 07 started to show signs of the spoiler paint issue (purchased on 12/20/06 8500 miles now), it is silver, so not very easy to spot. I will be taking it in next week for the A1 service, I will keep you all posted.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here's my latest....I think I was the first to have the foam fix used by a dealer for the spoiler issue. I had it done about 5,000 miles ago. This morning, I checked the trunk lid and the rubbing HAS reoccurred. So, the foam is not a fix. Let your dealer try it if you want, but I can tell you that it did not work in my case.

I'll be back at my dealer next week, continue to be a pain in their butt until Honda fixes what is an apparently common problem.

DECK LID SCRATCH HAVERS UNITE!!

Quick Reply: Spoiler wearing paint off of the trunk lid. What we must do!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands