HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Road Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Road Trip Report

I just made a trip from San Jose to Buena Park in Orange County.

Total Distance: 376 miles.
Time including Dinner: 7:30
Vehicle Load: 2 Adults and 2 kids for 1 week trip.
AC set at 72 degrees for the entire duration.
External temp was near 80 at start going to 97 about mid point to 80 at the end.
Fuel Used: abotu 2/3 tank.

1st Hours
85 S to 101 S to 152 East = ~60 miles Speed 55MPH 53MPG
5 S to Baskersfiled = 4 hours = about 250 miles Speed ~80 44MPG (cumulative)
Baskersfiled (up Grapevine at ~70-75MPH) - 40MPG (cumulative)
Magic Mountain to 405 S - ~60 miles - 42 MPG (cumulative)
405S to Buena Park ~60 miles - 43MPG @65MPH

Overall - 43MPG

It was pretty good trip. I have made this trip about 50 times in last 10 years in variety of cars, Taurus, 525, XG350, Villager Minivan, Santa Fe and now HCH II. I did not notice any lack of performance - just got little concerned going up Grapevine since Tach was about 5000 RPM but overall very pleasant drive. Engine Temp never went near 50%.

Tire pressure 42 front and back.

Initital impression was that CC was not as efficient as manual speed control, since it did not kick in Assist as much. I used as much assist as possible since I knew everytime I went up, I had to come down.

Will report return trip next week.

Old 07-04-2006, 09:45 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Road Trip Report

Originally Posted by Casper49
Baskersfiled (up Grapevine at ~70-75MPH) - 40MPG (cumulative)
Magic Mountain to 405 S - ~60 miles - 42 MPG (cumulative)
405S to Buena Park ~60 miles - 43MPG @65MPH

Overall - 43MPG
If it's the mountain I'm thinking it is a monster to get up. Coming down is really fun though very little gas was used. Also from the 405 S to the 101 is actually all downgrade if you experiment you can maintain a very high FE going between 65-71mph.

The car is really weird on the mountains going north on the mountain I babied the car and found if I'm willing to give up speed you can keep the car at 50mpg on the meter.

And with cruise control I agree I tried using it and got a better MPG just driving my style.

Old 07-05-2006, 02:22 AM
04 prius 350,000km

wow good trip report, thanks for the data. More power to IMA!

You got good mpg for AC on all the way, and i'm impressed that your engine never got too hot.

Aha that's one gas tank too! didn't need to make a gas stop

Old 07-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have a road trip of my own to report. I suppose I'll just hijack this thread.

Just got back from a trip from Orange County, CA (Irvine) to Cedar City, Utah. Each way we traveled 383 miles. From OC to CC I traveled at 75 MPH most of the way (cruise control) with AC on. I achieved 43.8 MPG. Roaming around the mountains out there after I filled up the tank once arrived, I traveled between CC and St. George (two trips @ 80 MPH Cruise Control w/AC) and some intense mountain hills (and some unexpected off roading at 10 MPH), about 430 miles or so I achieved 38.1 MPG uphill and 44 MPG down hill (according to the digital average) (with CC on set about 55). When I disabled cruise control and travelled same 55 MPH I then went up to about 53 MPH. I didn't keep good hand written records.

Going home today, on the next tank of gas (I filled up before leaving Cedar City), I traveled 85 MPG (Cruise Control) about 250 miles (and there were some spots where I was up to 95 MPH for about 15 miles going up some fairly steep inclines) but I mostly averaged ~75-85 MPH (had to, SUVs and big trailor trucks where nearly running me over even at 80) until little past Las Vegas and achieved 43.9 MPG. I got sleepy (we left at 4:00 am) so gave the car to my wife who never drove the Hybrid before (outside our paking lot where we live) and I fell asleep for two hours. Woke up, we were almost home and she had 74.9 MPG but she didn't use cruise control and the entire trip AC was on. Her speed was speed posted speed limit which was 75 most of the way until San Bernadino which was 65 but she did 70 in those areas.

Now, I drive exclusively with Cruise Control set since my 28 miles each way commute to work (and ~400 miles to Utah) and so on had no traffic, but she didn't use CC and otherwise our driving conditions were the same and got much better mileage. I'll do some tests the next two week not using CC at all and see what my mileage fares.

I realize the trip is downhill from Las Vegas to OC but so was the trip from Cedar City to Las Vegas.

I'll upload stats once I sort the gas receipts and my hand written odometer readings.

Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited by shawnb; 07-07-2006 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

74.9 MPG???!!! Perhaps when you were asleep she hooked onto the back of a semi? Seems we need your wife to post her secret hypermiling techniques!