HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Rear Facing Car seat Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Rear Facing Car seat Issues

I got my HCH-II about three months ago and LOVE it! Been averaging a little over 50mpg lifetime.

We just had a son (3 months old) and have had some issues with using a rear facing Graco car seat in the car.

When we tried to put the rear facing car seat behind the passanger seat using the latch system, it did not fit. My wife is about 5'8" and needs some minor leg room, but does not have the passanger seat all the way back.

Our car seat is one of the combo units that has a base that stays in the car while we pull out the main unit and can use it as a seat, or in our stroller.

We've had to put our son in the center of the car next to our 2 year old in a front facing seat. Their car seats bump into each other. Also, and more importantly, because we cannot use the latch system, we are forced to use the shoulder belt with the base of the unit. Because the two seats touch, my infant tends to be rocked in his seat and has even tipped over at a serious angle. The shoulder style seatbelt gives a bit and does not lock into position unless I slam on the brakes, or we are in an accident. We've had situations where we took a sharp turn and have had to turn around and place our 3-month old up straight again after he was tipped over.

This seems like a pretty significant issue to us and I'd love to hear any feedback from you all.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jeff

Old 10-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rear Facing Car seat Issues

I use a rear-facing Graco with base for our 2.5 month old with no problems. It's in the center rear. Base hooks up to LATCH fine. Tightens up fine. With my 6'3" self in the driver's seat the carrier just touches my seat. The carrier usually does not touch the front passenger seat.

I'm not sure where your problem is. I would recommend taking your car and seat to the dealership or a fire station both of whom should fit the seat for free.

Good luck.

Last edited by noflash; 10-18-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Enthusiast

Do you sit with your seat pretty straight, or do you tend to tilt it back at all? Also, about how far back do you slide your driver seat?

Old 10-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I lean the seat back more than the average bear and the seat is not all the way back. It is set so that I can comfortably rest my whole left foot on the foot rest.

You don't have the handle of the carrier in the way, do you?

Old 10-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast

Sounds to me like your missing the seatbelt gripper that comes with the child seat...this keeps the seatbelt in a "locked" position...most of the time its in a holder on the bottom of the seat...better yet...take it to the fire dept. and let them do it...center of the car is better for a rear facing seat anyhow...a pain in the *** but safer...and the fire dept. will do it for free, have any recall notices for your model car seat, and put you on record in case their is an accident an ambulance is automatically rolled...just let them do it...

Old 10-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have a graco carseat base in my HCH-II as well. It's hooked up in the center of the backseat and is attached to the LATCH system. I'm 6'3" and don't have any problems with the car seat even though I push my seat all the way back as far as it will go and usually have it reclining one tick.

Heck this weekend we had a whole boatload of people in the HCH-II without a problem.

My wife was driving, she's 5'5".
I was in the passenger's front seat 6'3"
My mother-in-law was behind me 5'2"
My baby was in the middle in her rear facing car seat.
My sister-in-law was behind my wife and on the other side of my baby. 5'10".

We were all amazed at how uncramped things felt even with all of us in the car. I think we were actually quite close to the maximum load rating hahaha

just my .02
Jayson

Old 10-19-2006, 07:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, that Graco base seems to work best in the middle. We have a 3-week old and a Graco MetroLite system. The seat fit best in the middle. Plus, it's recommended that little ones be in the middle of the car.

Jeff

Old 10-22-2006, 06:56 PM
Enthusiast

I haven't recieved my hybrid yet and was curious how well does the Graco Strollers fit in the truck? Is it tight, does it have to go in sideways, and do you have any room left when its in? Thanks for the help and sorry for highjacking the thread.

CK

Old 10-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ssj_chris
I haven't recieved my hybrid yet and was curious how well does the Graco Strollers fit in the truck? Is it tight, does it have to go in sideways, and do you have any room left when its in? Thanks for the help and sorry for highjacking the thread.

CK
I would describe it as snug. It does have to go in sideways. It's not to bad tho to get it in. You have enough room for a few bags of groceries around it. I was able to get in a few bags of groceries, my camera bag, camcorder bag, our diaper bag, the stroller, and our collapsable swing. It was jam packed tho when I was finished.

Jayson

Old 10-23-2006, 04:24 AM
Enthusiast

I have a Graco Quatro Tour, it that what you have aswell

Quick Reply: Rear Facing Car seat Issues

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands