HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Rant of the Month

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Think green.
Default Re: Rant of the Month

Originally Posted by arbittan
How many of you feel tired or beat up after you have driven for an hour in your hybrid? I mean tired from concentrating on hyermilling, etc.
Not I. The car is very enjoyable to drive.
I imagine this would vary, depending on the person, how much they are concentrating on the task, and their car's particular dash/guage setup.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Energy Independence

Not me, either. Other than the inherent dangers of the trek (on the road, in traffic at rush hour), I find the commute enjoyable. It's not drudgery for me to concentrate (just a little bit) on keeping my speed down and keeping distance between vehicles so I can adapt to changing traffic speeds without using the brakes and accelerator as often. My commute is pretty flat, so that makes it easier.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't ever feel tired after driving in my hybrid. Granted, I am not a great hypermiler, but really, I feel a lot is just about adjusting your driving habits and being attentive. I drive slower now, leave more distance in front of me, and don't "gun it" from a red light. I actually arrive at my destination much more relaxed and feel less stress. Then I realize, that really, I haven't become a hypermiles, just began following some of the rules of the road. They tell you to drive the speed limit (check), leave atleast 2 secs of space between you and the car in front of you (check). The rest just falls into the "attentiveness" category and you can easily get 40+ MPG (still a 50% increase from my 03 civic) without even trying to hypermile.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

I drove an Insight for a year ( averaging 72.3 mpg over 16k miles, by the way). The HCH II is a limo in comparison.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I am going to turn off my MPG counter this week. I want to see how much of a difference this will make for me, both for MPG and for alertness.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by holicow
I drove an Insight for a year ( averaging 72.3 mpg over 16k miles, by the way). The HCH II is a limo in comparison.
Just to add: I also had an '04 Accord EX for a while, and the HCH is smoother, handles better, quieter and has better seats. Go figure.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:44 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

How many of you feel tired or beat up after you have driven for an hour in your hybrid? I mean tired from concentrating on hyermilling, etc.
Definitely not me !!! And I can't say I know anyone who sees it that way either. In fact, many of us actually look forward to getting into the car and starting the FE game all over again - day after day.

However, for "hypermiling" to work effectively you must be comfortable with each technique and understand its place. If a technique is applied correctly the rewards are undeniable and immediate... and that is what keeps the enthusiasm levels high and the "fatigue/frustration" factor away.
So, I would suggest taking it one step at a time and simply find what works for you and what does not; and then stick with the techniques that offer you the highest reward.
If we labor too hard in trying to improve our mileage then I suspect I too would get tired and even frustrated with the entire affair. So I say, start small and gradually then it will all become instinctive, relaxing and who knows... even fun.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 05-27-2008, 11:53 AM

Well, it almost June! Since last month's rant was a bust, I am working on some new "A" material for the next one.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Quite the opposite.
To me, hypermiling is about taking it easy.

Rushing and tailgating would be fatiguing to me.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:10 AM

Well, it almost June! Since last month's rant was a bust, I am working on some new "A" material for the next one.
You have mellowed. And yet, you never had a "Rant of the Month" topic on Benzworld.org, which I find interesting. Does this performance anxiety compensate for the relief of dumping the troubled ML?

Quick Reply: Rant of the Month

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands