HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Is this possible??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is this possible??

Interesting Bengtek. I don't know of any Civics here that have converted theirs, because honda sells CNG civics. I wonder how a CNG hybrid would function...

Old 02-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

I know there are LPG kits for the prius in germany and italy. Would be verry interested if it became available for the civic

Old 02-15-2008, 06:43 AM

What pollution is involved in the produciton of the electricity you will use where you live?

If it is hydro/solar/wind, then good idea.
If dirty coal, then bad idea.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
Interesting Bengtek. I don't know of any Civics here that have converted theirs, because honda sells CNG civics. I wonder how a CNG hybrid would function...
I've got the RFQ as below, might schedule to meet them up and check further

Originally Posted by Melchers
The conversion costs start from S$3900 (for Jap cars) for the Sequential Kit conversion package. This price includes the kit with all its components, one steel cylinder, which is installed horizontally in the boot of your car, the installation service, documentation required, diverse safety checks and fine-tuning procedures. Price does not include cylinder covering box, or additional components that may be required. This is for 66L tank that carries about 10KG of CNG. Time taken can be from 3 days or so depending on complexity and schedule. 1 year guarantee for the kit and 5 years for the cylinder.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:13 AM

So would it run on gas and/or CNG or just CNG?

Old 02-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

there;s an option switch
you chose till run out of GAS(CNG)
typically its 200km but with IMA assist maybe longer
looking forward visiting pump station twice a month vs my current 4 times

maybe with this mod HCH2/CNG will beat prius 50mpg by a horse length

Old 02-15-2008, 08:21 PM

Cool Bengtek! In Singapore, do they offer something like the Honda Phill, where you can fill your CNG tank from home?
Speaking of alternative fuel conversions, I just converted my HCHII to run on E85.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:37 PM

Retrofitting CNG to the Civic Hybrid could be more complex than to normal cars that just running on petrol. I understand that they need to modify the ECU programs to handle the RON 120 CNG. As we all know, the Civic Hybrid has a different engine management which handles all the switching between the ICE and Electric Motor. And I believe, the software takes many parameters into consideration.

So, it will not be just a simple hardware retrofit.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

After weeks of evaluation I came to the final conclusion that given present timing it’s impossible to attain the first triple system car as current CNG technology yet to attain that level.

Just a peek on the CNG or NGV operation on a normal vehicle, it requires three basic components namely the CNG converter, ignition timing control and CNG ECU not forgetting the big fat tank.

A normal package consist of the heavy weight 70kg metal tank or option upgrade to 20kg fiber tank which cost a cool S$2.5k additionally.

A mini display installed near the dashboard shows the gas level and two LED display gas (yellow) or petrol (red) encompassing the manual fuel switching button on the center.

Due to gas 120Ron which is dry therefore not suitable to run below 2000rpm it will pump both gas and petrol when idling which are similar function like our HCH2.

Back to the upgrade road I embroiled thru, I first visited our local Honda Distributor which was initially unwilling to commit themselves but finally managed to break the ice and get a senior mechanic on their view regard the conversion, his honest opinion are if possible DO NOT upgrade as the current Hybrid setup almost comparable to CNG powered car therefore upgrading to triple system HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED.

Next I visited the local CNG/NGV conversion company, initial inspections by the local mechanic almost throw them off their bench, their first question asked: why convert when you’re driving an hybrid?
Next a German resident engineer asks what my objective is.

The local mechanic 30 minutes later reply, unless Honda work with them it’s impossible for them to work alone on the conversion. Next the German engineer browsed thru my service manual and mentioned that their present ECU may not be able to understand the complexity of this new setup and he might need to conduct numerous trials and test if really I wish to convert. His advice was waiting for another six to twelve months for their ECU to catch up with the newer Honda technology.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:28 PM

Thanks for that update. I guess I will stick with my cheap and easy (although highly debated) ethanol conversion.