HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Is this possible??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 05:31 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Is this possible??

Ok, so I had a little time on my hands the other day, so as I was laying in bed watching TV, I got to thinking....now this is a scary concept (me thinking that is). Now, does anyone, or think, if it's possible to modify the current setup of the HCH to add more battery power & incorporate a plug-in feature? I'm no electrician or car mechanic, but there's a lot of you guys out here that have way more knowledge than I do on these things. What would prevent someone, from setting up a few standard car batteries and hooking it into the electrical part of the electrical motor and also incorporating a plug-in feature so that you can start the day off, fully charged, at all times? Is this even viable? It's not something I'd plan on doing, but would be really cool if it could be done.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:44 AM
Part Time Hybrids
Default Re: Is this possible??

Ops.. misread you there. Had a whole response done out...

Well I'd guess there is little enough extra room for an extra battery. Unless you want to lose trunk space.

With careful driving you won't likely suffer a forced Regen anyways.

As for charging systems If you make one do share! But the modified Toyota's cost upwards of 10K to convert so I guess you'd be spending a pretty penny.

Last edited by Sungod18; 02-09-2008 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

getting our IMA batteries charged can be easily done via criuse on highway

even you get it charged fully upon leaving home, some road might use them up before u realise so why take the trouble to charge them at home?

charging our IMA cannot hold charges too long bef we'll use them up
unless you change the type and size but that will eat on the FE

even if you install solar panel that will weight down the FE and aerodynamic

tot that was discuss before somewhere
there's a post on adding solar panel
but the chargin too small serve any purpose

thats my little contribution on your tots

Old 02-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

As of now, no one has come up with a way to do this. It is possible, but the 20 HP electric motor of the HCHII would not allow the car to go into "EV mode", like the modified priuses and highlanders can.
Plugging in would have it's benefits though. For example, a full battery would allow for more assist and lessen the chance of forced regen. The problem is that these kits are so expensive right now, they are not worth it; especially if they don't allow you to go into EV mode.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

I beleive 20HP is enough to cruise at 50mph or so with this car, flat, level, no wind

Old 02-11-2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by TheBundo
I beleive 20HP is enough to cruise at 50mph or so with this car, flat, level, no wind
How do you know that? I am basing my assumptions that it can't on basically nothing: The fact that the cars that can do EV mode are 60HP and people saying that the civic can't. I don't have the technology to test it, but if what you said is true, that would be great.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, my geo metro was only 55hp, 3 cyl, 5 spd, and it got up to 90 (and I have a ticket to prove it!) so I'd imagine that 20hp would keep a car moving at 50mph, given no wind, and flat surface. It might take awhile to get it moving that quickly, but keeping the car going is easier than getting it moving.

My original thinking on the topic, was to try to keep a higher battery SOC and help prevent regen. It may also give more assist, with less draw back on it as there is more power to begin with. It was a thought, but as I had mentioned I don't have the knowledge or the know-how to try to rig something up. Obviously it would sacrifice some trunk space (the little there to begin with) but at this point, what's another foot of it??

Old 02-11-2008, 08:02 PM

Right now those kits for the prius and highlander are about 10-12K, so I'm not sure it's worth it yet. Manufacturers need to come out with their own PHEVS and soon!! I would love a plug in, but would never pay that much.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Agreed. Definitely not willing to pay that cost, on top of what is already paid for a vehicle. While the operating costs would be much lower in terms of gasoline, it would take probably around 10 years to recoup its cost. Not many people keep the car for 10 years anymore. This was calculated at a rough 12000 miles a year @ 40 mpg for the current hybrid (i know a low ball estimate) with gas at 3.50/gal. That came out to approx 1050 a year in gasoline. However, you'd have to factor in the increased electric expense as well, since you have to power the vehicle somehow!

It is nice to know that the solution is out there, but not nice to know the costs involved. One day, they'll make it an option on the cars or maybe even some where it is standard. Imagine if you had solar or wind power generation, you could power your car essentially for free and with no emissions. if you could run EV mode all the time. Guess I need to keep dreaming haha.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

hv you guys considerred CNG implant?

there's quite a numbers of CIVIC here converted theirs
even the JDM TypeRs

one of the guys in the forum informed us he's getting his FD1 soon with CNG

given 40% tax rebate on the car open market value
gas cost less than half we paid for petrol
tank about 70kg and travel about 200km on each tankful

read from a local mag tittled
CAN A HIGH PERFORMANCE CAR BE GREEN?

at 6000rpm the JDM CTR it flies to 8000rpm effortless
no distinguishable different as the car switched to petrol on the fly
there;s a Porsche cayman converted here
most conversion cost SIN 3.6K but a small tank may cost double

wonder how does it feel to drive a tri-system car?
petrol, battery, CNG ........

http://www.cng.com.sg
moe info on Compressed Natural Gas

Last edited by bengteck; 02-12-2008 at 05:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Is this possible??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands