HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Poor Economy and Assist problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 04:50 PM
iSteve
Default Poor Economy and Assist problems

I have been getting poor economy for a while now around 6 to 6.8 litres per 100 klms, no matter what i do i just cant seem to get it back to mid 5's like i used to, it has been warmer here as its summer and even with frugal use of the airconditioning, the other issue is that upon acceleration i sometimes get only 2 or 3 bars of Assist despite half to 3/4 batt level even with full throw of the accelerator pedal, and boy do you notice the lack of power, during that time the charge rate is also reduced to 2 or 3 bars.

Any Ideas?

Old 01-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Poor Economy and Assist problems

Could you give us additional details such as:
-Tire pressure on all fours.
-Last maintenance (oil change) and what type of oil?
-How many thousands of kilometers on the vehicle so far?
-Accidents and subsequent repairs?
-Typical driving distances?
-Urban (or not) driving regime?
-Any service or warning lights on the dash?

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 01-21-2007, 06:41 PM
iSteve

I havent changed driving habits,

The tire pressure is 40 psi all round
no repairs to vehicle
no warning lights
27500 klms
last service @ 20000
Factory oil
driving distances of 10 to 30klms or so

its been like this for a little while now, but the batt seems to take longer to get a full charge and harder to maintain it. my concern is the way it sometimes wont allow full assist or recharge.
i'll check the air filter tonight and blow it clean witrh compressed Air (not that i live in a very dusty area

Old 01-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

At this point, I would say that visiting the dealership and have them check the battery and the BCM module (and perhaps the MCM as well - can't hurt) is a good start.

These types of issues wont necessarily generate any codes that the HDS station operator will detect. So don't give up, and insist that the dealership perform the necessary unit tests as advised by the Honda technical literature.

On a side note (this is directed at general public reading this thread): When an air filter is dirty enough it should be discarded and replaced with a new one. Blowing it may help contaminate the "clean" side - which is of course, not desirable.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 01-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
When an air filter is dirty enough it should be discarded and replaced with a new one. Blowing it may help contaminate the "clean" side - which is of course, not desirable.
Actually, I do blow air through my filters (engine intake and cabin) at each service. I go from the clean side, using air from my compressor. I can usually get a bit of dirt out. Of course, this is an "extra" service I perform. I do replace the filter at the proper intervals, too.

Incidentally, I was surprised to see how much crap was in my cabin filter at only 10,000 mi. There were small leaves in there!

Old 01-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
Incidentally, I was surprised to see how much crap was in my cabin filter at only 10,000 mi. There were small leaves in there!

I had a Yellow jacket in mine at 5,000 miles. No bugs since then (checked it again at 20k miles) but a few small rocks and leaf pieces as well.