HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Not the "typical gas mileage" thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:07 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Not the "typical gas mileage" thread...

Originally Posted by 300TTto545
When a majority of people disregard a law, the law is unenforceable. That is the case with speed limits - to a point. In most places, that is 10 miles per hour or so above the limit - but it definitely depends on location. The riot analogy is a bit extreme since a majority of reasonable people would not do that and it represents a direct quantifiable harm to a class of people.
What we're actually talking about is "mob mentality". Wolf packs are what you get when you go with the flow of speeding vehicles, but they're not rebelling (rioting); They're mostly cowards who will collectively drop speed at the sight of a police cruiser or something peculiar, and in doing so create an unstable situation. Indeed, doing as others do probably includes tailgating, passing and blocking merge lanes, and other bad behaviour.

Speeders believe they're justified in speeding and will try to bully and convince others into speeding too. I'm saying that you don't have to let them or to be afraid. Even if you do go with the mythical flow (my observations tell me that it is more storytelling than a reality), the risk of exposure from other drivers remains the same since the problem of other driver intolerance doesn't go away under any circumstances. You can be exceeding the limits and yet the person behind you still can't stand the sight of you being in front of them. There is something I remember from driver's education about defensive driving that has stuck with me but others seem to forget: Be a predictable driver, so that other drivers can anticipate and react accordingly. You cannot control other people's driving behaviour, but you can control your own and you can instill confidence in others, thereby affording you some protection. Knowing this, just how predictable can you be when you're not obeying the (legal) rules of the road?

If you're going to reply to the above rhetorical question with something along the lines of, "How predictable can you be if you're not going with the flow," then please take into account the earlier paragraph about wolf packs.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Part Time Hybrids

I agree with Msantos.

Driving legally doesn't kill. Reckless driving kills. If everyone drove the speed limit then we would only have accidents caused by car problems or unknown issues like a tree falling on a road. These are far less likely to occur than a crash related to speeding.

Speeding kills. Just because everyone does it doesn't make it any less illegal. The true danger is in those who choose to driver even faster, thinking they they are perfectly safe driving 85-90 on a 55 mph highway.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Driving legally (following posted speed limits) *can* kill. It doesn't mean it will kill. Just as driving fast doesn't mean it will kill. You can be well within the speed limit and still crash into someone. Or, have someone crash into you. Driving 40 in a 45 doesn't make you immune to a collision. Hell, driving 3 miles per hour in your own driveway can kill. We recently had a father back out of his driveway and run over his 2 year old. He sent his kids in the house, entered his vehicle, and proceeded to back out of his driveway. At that point, he ran over his kid, which he thought was in the house. Did speeding kill? Not really. At least not in the sense of speed limits. But in relation to 0 miles per hour, sure someone can say speed killed. As anything faster than 0 miles per hour can be considered speeding. Does higher speeds kill? Well, yeah. But it's not linear. Higher speeds can be driven safely. I feel the issue with speed limits is related to a blanket policy of not being able to monitor the reckless drivers. Some people can safely speed. Some cannot. So, in order to mitigate fatalities, we make *everyone* drive at lower speeds. We see this in states that have "reasonable and prudent" laws. I've talked to cops that say if they see a car built for speed and stability speeding on an open road, they're more likely to let it go than a beater that's unstable and looks unmaintained. Of course, this is more likely to happen with a car doing 80 in a 65. If it were doing 120 in a 65, the cop will stop the car as now it has greatly increased it's risk factor. I, um, have a friend that often rides their motorcycle around 135 on the desert highways. They've even passed police cruisers at such speeds. Highway patrol never batted an eye. After discussing this with a few highway patrol officers, they said they generally use discretion as to who to pull over and ticket. And some of that discretion is based on road conditions and traffic. If it's a relatively straight road with no obstructions on the sides and sparse traffic, they don't even bother stopping the speeder as it's not the speed that they're worried about. It's driving too fast for conditions. And in saying that, the trooper also said they can also write speeding tickets even if you're driving below the posted speed limit if they feel that safety is in jeopardy based on other factors. If the posted speed limit is 65 and you're doing 60, they'll write a ticket for "too fast for conditions" if there's something like a blinding dust storm. A highway patrol officer in California also said they write tickets for driving too slowly! I don't remember what the ticket actually says, but if you're driving much slower than the posted limit and there are more than something like 5-7 cars behind you, they'll cite you for driving too slowly.

Sheesh, I rambled on and on. Hopefully my post will make sense. My whole point is, it's not the speed that kills. Like previous posters have said, it's reckless driving that kills. Not being aware of your surroundings. Not keeping your head and eyes up. Not keeping your vehicle within safe stability limits. I've raced on racetracks and seen much slower riders crash because of exceeding their limitations. Not because they're riding fast. In fact, the faster riders tend to be the most safe because they're balancing risk with speed. When risk increased, they backed off. As risk drifted off, they sped up. The same can be said on the streets. If there's a lot of traffic or unfamiliar conditions. Call a "knock it off" and slow down.

Last edited by bar10dah; 10-24-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by spinner

Speeders believe they're justified in speeding and will try to bully and convince others into speeding too.
I'm saying that you don't have to let them or to be afraid.
This is true.
I think overcoming fear of tailgaters was key to getting good MPG numbers.

I don't get many tailgaters anymore since I got my personalized plate which conveys that I'm going this speed on purpose.
But when it happens, I just let them drive 1 inch behind me as long as they want.
Also when they pass me I just look ahead; I don't make eye contact.

They love their car too much to ram me.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:52 PM

Yeh your post makes sense, Keith, but why are we all in such a hurry. Can we not give our selfs more time!!! What is the big thing about speed? Do we not like having limits put opon us? Is it nessassary to honk at someone doing no wrong? Is it good to have blood pressure up to 200 lbs. while behind the wheel? Some of these people are plan nuts!!! ,and some will stop at nothing to move you. And I'm afraid most of us that are in a hurry are that way. H

Old 10-24-2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Harold
Yeh your post makes sense, Keith, but why are we all in such a hurry.
I used to be. But I find that I've been driving a lot slower lately. Yeah, I still occasionally speed. But 95% of the time, I'm just out there cruising along at around the speed limits. Some say it's because I'm hypermiling in my hybrid. But, I've been driving like a grandpa even before I bought the HAH, when I was still driving my truck.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
Yeh your post makes sense, Keith, but why are we all in such a hurry. Can we not give our selfs more time!!! What is the big thing about speed? Do we not like having limits put opon us? Is it nessassary to honk at someone doing no wrong? Is it good to have blood pressure up to 200 lbs. while behind the wheel? Some of these people are plan nuts!!! ,and some will stop at nothing to move you. And I'm afraid most of us that are in a hurry are that way. H
We can give ourselves more time. But why would we want to. Taking longer to get somewhere is counterproductive - but so is aggressive driving. For the first 10k miles on my car, I went slower, even below limits. But I have lately been speeding back up. My mileage is still at 50 mpg so I am still doing 2 x better than the average.

Either way, driving slower (or significant public transportation) is not going to happen. Our best bet is much better efficiency.....

Old 10-26-2007, 08:58 AM

Good luck with efficiency!!! All they have to do is keep the trucks off the roads at rush hrs., and our problems would be solve for many yrs..

Old 10-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Enthusiast

I purchased my car to save a little gas and a lot of time. My commute is from LA to OC each day and traveling in the HOV saves me about 45 minutes each way. That is around 30 hours per month of saved time and avoidance of traffic induced frustration.

Yes, I drive in the HOV lane at 75mph. Most mornings I can just set the cruise control and not tap it off until I reach my exit. Once in awhile there is someone holding up the flow but that does not happen often.

Kenny, I noticed you live in LB and probably travel the 405 too. You stated that you go a max of 51mph and my hat is off to you sir.