HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

Hey! I get to quote myself AND answer myself!
I finally received an email from Michelin that the tire below has a tread width of 6.5 inches when on a 6 inch rim.

Originally Posted by GardenWeasel
Ref. the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires in 195/65 x 15....anyone seen a chart listing with treadwidth for this size? My searches are finding treadwidth consistently listed as NA!

Old 08-04-2009, 05:18 AM
Enthusiast

Re: the Bridgestone SE200s.
I just replaced my '06 HCH II OEM tires with Bridgestone SE200s (I had asked for the -02, but as near as I can tell - the tire shop installed the standard SE200s).
For the kicker, my mileage dropped a good 5 mpg.
I was easily averaging 55+ before the replacement & now I'm struggling to keep it in the 50-52 mpg range.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

BTW: does anyone know of a conclusive way to tell if the tire is the standard SE200 vs. the SE200-02?

Old 08-04-2009, 07:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The SE200-02's have a diminutive "02" suffix after "SE200", on the sidewall. The suffix text is maybe 1/4 the height of the rest.

Please do check your sidewall and post back. I'm suspecting 195/65R15 size is only available with the "02" suffix, but not really sure. Maybe someone can shed light on this.

If it does turn out yours are the "-02": any brand new tire of the same make/model is going to drop your mileage a little. The new tire is:

1. slightly bigger diameter, effectively changing your odometer's measurements (since it's not worn down) (otoh, larger diameter slightly changes your gear ratios towards less aggressive, so that maybe balances out)
2. stickier/softer (just due to being newer)
3. deeper, more squirmy tread, with none of the sipes worn down.

Also, Have you checked your pressures? (Kind of assume you have but just to ask)

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 08-04-2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: fine tuned, fixed typos, etc
Old 08-09-2009, 11:39 AM

Bump:

Lee, do please post if you check your tires, regarding whether they are SE200 or SE200-02.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Need Tire Replacement Recommendation - SE200

I just checked & there is no -02 after the SE200 - also didn't see any other markings that might indicate they were the 02, but then again, I'm not entirely sure what I would be looking for.

Re: tire inflation. I ran the old tires at 40psi and am running the new ones at the same. It may be time to consider running them a bit higher.

Sorry for the delay in following up.

Regards,
Lee

Old 08-10-2009, 05:50 AM
Default Re: Need Tire Replacement Recommendation - SE200

Originally Posted by LeeV
I just checked & there is no -02 after the SE200 - also didn't see any other markings that might indicate they were the 02, but then again, I'm not entirely sure what I would be looking for.
<snip>
Lee
The small "02" suffix is directly following the main "SE200" text. It's kind of subtle (I didn't notice it until someone drew it to my attention), but unmistakeable. It's about 1/4" high, aligned with the underside of the main text.

I've just emailed Bridgestone, hopefully someone will respond and shed light on this. I'll post any info I get.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 08-10-2009 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:24 AM
Enthusiast

Nope - nothing I could see after the SE200 :-(
Would love to hear Bridgestone's response.

I had spoken to a different tire shop prior to purchasing the tires and they said the SE200-02 were T-rated (as opposed to S-rated) with a stiffer sidewall. Though, when I went to some of the on-line tire sites, everything seemed to indicate the -02 as an S-rated tire - so I don't know what to believe.

Lee

Old 08-10-2009, 07:10 AM
Hybrid Newbie

Just replaced original Bridgestones at 40K miles (on 06 model) with Goodyear Assurance TripleTreads, a tire I have on another vehicle and am VERY pleased with traction, durability and quiet ride. The best tire I have every owned. OEM Bridgestones wore just OK and had poor traction in snow. Happily selected the Goodyears (over Michelin) at Sam's Club with a $60 off July special, out the door with road hazard for around $500, had to order the tire size on line and have them drop shipped to store for install from Sam's.

Will watch for notable changes in MPG, but not a hypermiler, don't want to be calculating my MPGs waiting for a tow when my Civic winds up in a ditch due to poor snow traction. Happily bopping along at 42 MPG year round, normal driving on rolling terrain, plenty of AC use and tires at factory inflation levels. Dealer serviced, no technical issues of any kind. Admire cars built for a purpose, my respect level for this car is rising with use. A good intersection between style, size, functionality and good use of fuel.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:42 AM
F**k ExxonMobil

Originally Posted by LeeV
Nope - nothing I could see after the SE200 :-(
Would love to hear Bridgestone's response.

I had spoken to a different tire shop prior to purchasing the tires and they said the SE200-02 were T-rated (as opposed to S-rated) with a stiffer sidewall. Though, when I went to some of the on-line tire sites, everything seemed to indicate the -02 as an S-rated tire - so I don't know what to believe.

Lee
the -02 is low rolling resistance. the other is not.