HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

Originally Posted by iget50
I'm also ready to pull the trigger on a set of Ep100s - Currently $85 at the rack - I'm wondering about the size. My experience has always been that a narrower tire will yield better MPG - Stock size is 195/65-15, but a 185/65-15 is available (slightly lower cost too). The OD is 1/2 less which I figure is no big deal. Has anybody tried this size on stock hybrid wheels?
I do have the Ecopias but am running stock size. Not sure if a smaller size on the rim would have a good impact.

Update on the Ecopias: They are solid tires. Their ride is superb. Traction is much better than my old tires, and they do seem much quieter. Mileage is still questionable . It's hot out here--in the 90s so the AC is on constantly. My mileage is lower, but it seems to trend lower during the hot months when the AC runs constantly.

I am happy with the tires as they've made a huge positive impact--more than I expected.

Let me know what you decide, and by all means, post your experience!

Lansing

Old 07-18-2009, 07:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

One thing that's been noted: whenever you re-tire you're going from slightly smaller diameter, well broken-in, low tread depth to stickier brand-new deeper tread.

Still, no night-vs-day improvement, eh? Considering the Ecopia's are billed as LRR you'd think they'd at least match your OEMs. Oh well, maybe a few months down the road the picture will be clearer.

Hmm, just looking at our sporadic mileage log, our first summer with our Insignia SE200's wasn't that great (the first winter mileage (we bought in December) was even worse of course). Still...

Old 07-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ref. the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires in 195/65 x 15....anyone seen a chart listing with treadwidth for this size? My searches are finding treadwidth consistently listed as NA!

Old 07-26-2009, 09:37 AM

"anyone seen a chart listing with treadwidth for this size?"

The Michelin site lists Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S in this size (195/65x15). Maybe just out-of-stock?

http://www.michelinman.ca/specs/pilo...32.html?sc=TSN

Hmm, still on the Michelin site, if I use it's vehicle selector function spec'ing HCHII, it suggests these:

http://www.michelinman.ca/michelin/vehicleInfoSubmit.do

One of the suggested tires is the Michelin Energy Saver, and it's description has an asterik (*) comment which claims "Industry leading fuel efficiency", comparing to Goodyear Fuel Max and Bridgestone Ecopia.

The Energy Savers show as "in stock" at Tire Rack (first I've ever noticed, haven't checked in a while), but they're pretty pricey: $112 for the 198/65x15 HCHII stock size.

Addendum: 1010 tire (a barometer of Canadian availabity) shows the Michelin Energy Saver in stock as well:

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...gy+Saver+A%2FS

But again, the price is pretty steep: $160Can. Just for reference, I got a quote on the Bridgestone Insignia Se200 in 195/65x15, from Yanko tire about 6 months back: $105 per tire (plus $15 mount/balance, $3 valve stem, $20 disposal fee)

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 07-26-2009 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Added Addendum
Old 07-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks! The Energy Saver A/S shows a tread width of 5.2 inches. The OE SP31's are 5.7 inches - and I'd like to go no less than a tread width of the OE's.
Michelin is being very secretive on the Pilot Exalto's...

Old 08-02-2009, 08:48 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Talking Re: Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

I talked with a salesman at Tire rack. They are currently doing tests on at least 4 LRR tires to see which offer the best LRR. Results should be out in about 2 months.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:38 AM
Arrow Re: Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

Originally Posted by Donald
I talked with a salesman at Tire rack. They are currently doing tests on at least 4 LRR tires to see which offer the best LRR. Results should be out in about 2 months.
That's good news for drivers who can put off buying tires for that long. At the rate I'm driving these days, I won't need new tires for about 25 years!

Old 08-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, I couldn't wait and had to buy the Ecopias.

Update after a couple solid months:

MPG difficult to compare since it's summer. Best guess is that it's the same or slightly better than the OEM Bridgestones.

Ride is dramatically better. The car meets bumps, cracks in the road and still feels solid, quiet, and tight to the road.

Handling more assured and crisp. Freeway onramps (clover leafs) that have sweeping turns caused original tires to squeal at speed. These tires are hugely better.

Road noise way, way better.

Conclusion: The Ecopias may not be the end-all, but they are a huge improvement over the original Bridgestone tires. They offer better performance in all categories for me.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the update Lansing.

I agree it's very difficult to compare tire mpg. There are so many factors, weather, temp, trip duration/type, a/c use, traffic conditions, how hard were you trying, etc. The more tanks you record, under varying conditions, the more accurate the picture becomes.

Anyway, I suspect if they're currently on-par with the OEM Bridgestones that bodes good.

Tirerack's test is a very good idea: the more objective and variable-free the better.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 08-03-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Great report! One more item of interest to me...have you had the opportunity to drive in rain with them? If so, how did they perform?

Originally Posted by Lansing
Yes, I couldn't wait and had to buy the Ecopias.

Update after a couple solid months:

MPG difficult to compare since it's summer. Best guess is that it's the same or slightly better than the OEM Bridgestones.

Ride is dramatically better. The car meets bumps, cracks in the road and still feels solid, quiet, and tight to the road.

Handling more assured and crisp. Freeway onramps (clover leafs) that have sweeping turns caused original tires to squeal at speed. These tires are hugely better.

Road noise way, way better.

Conclusion: The Ecopias may not be the end-all, but they are a huge improvement over the original Bridgestone tires. They offer better performance in all categories for me.

Quick Reply: Need Tire Replacement Recommendation

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands