HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

My turn for IMA problems – advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: My turn for IMA problems – advice needed!

Here's an update, and a sheepish confession.

After the replacement of my IMA pack, which did not fix my MPG issues, I prematurely jumped to blame the car and/or other factors outside of my control. Several people here and elsewhere went out of their way to give me good advice about a "relearning" process.

However (and here's the confession), I have come to realize that my lazy driving habits (very sub-optimal "mindless" driving practices) and new driving pattern (very short trips, lots more hills) were the only culprits.

By correcting my habits, I am getting superb fuel economy, as before, whenever I drive my old routes. This week, I had a chance to make a 250-mile round trip, and it was simple to get 53 MPG with A/C cruising at 70 MPH.

I got a good laugh over my situation, realizing how I had considered every factor to blame other than myself. You'd think after 10 years of hybrid driving that I'd know better!

Case closed.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My turn for IMA problems – advice needed!

thats great Steve!

those are great numbers - you may set some records if you do 58MPH without A/C

Old 10-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Think green.

Sometimes we have to do the "driver re-learn procedure"!

Glad to hear the car is doing fine, Steve.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:11 PM

"Driver re-learn procedure." Hehe, good one. Yes, complacency and arrogance are dangerous human traits!

Small update today: I filled my tires today and discovered the dealer had ignored my instruction to leave the @#$% pressures (44 PSI) alone. They were at 32/30, and yet I still did remarkably well (53 MPG, as noted above) with fuel economy.

Not-so-incidentally, I discovered during this morning's fill that the @#$% tech failed to re-install TWO of my valve stem caps after my most recent service for faulty driver's side window (last month), and a third cap was unthreaded nearly to the point of falling off.

I hate that dealerships always want to monkey with tire pressures without permission.

Moral: I'm not the only dimwit at loose! Let's propose a technician re-learn procedure, too.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:57 PM

It is hard to teach a old dog new tricks!!! Always check your settings after service.H

Old 10-23-2011, 06:12 PM

Okay, the "official" numbers are in...

By driving mindfully over my usual route which was netting me 37 MPG in a rather careless manner, I was easily able to achieve 46.23 MPG, with little additional attention. That's a nine-plus MPG increase over the same route, with same conditions!

Clearly, with the HCH, fuel economy is driver-dependent.

I still can't believe, as a seasoned hypermiler, that I could have fallen so far off the path! Cracks me up.

P.S. Tire PSIs are now back to 43/41, but my good fuel economy was largely at horrific 32/30.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Steven,

I had same issue was getting 4.2 L per 100 km (67 Mpg imperial) on my daily commute, then started having problems with battery. Around this time I also changed my commute slightly which put me up against some more hills. My economy fell to 5.2 l per 100 kms or 54 MPG imperial. So the poor economy wasn't all on ailing the battery.

With the new battery i am currently squeezing 4.2 L per 100 kms again while driving for economy on the old route (minus the hills). When I don't hypermile I get about 58-60 MPG Imperial.

Taking the car in tomorrow for new Good Year Assurance Fuel Max tires.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by fuelmiser
Taking the car in tomorrow for new Good Year Assurance Fuel Max tires.
What an interesting coincidence – today I noticed that I'm due for tires, also. How many miles on your '09? I'm at about 33,600 now.

Glad your fuel economy has returned to excellent.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:19 AM

You will love those Fuel Max tires fuelmiser!!! H

Old 10-24-2011, 09:54 AM
Enthusiast

Steve, I bought these tires and are extremely quiet and delivering the same mpg as the OEM's.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/produ...ia_EP422_(eco))

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....P422&code=yes&

Quick Reply: My turn for IMA problems – advice needed!

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands