HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

My turn for IMA problems – advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: My turn for IMA problems – advice needed!

That's all that matters is more warranty than battery life LOL, I did the power reset last night and I haven't seen a re-cal today.

Did it work, who knows but I'm watching it, here's a forum for additional reading.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Power Reset Procedure

Disconnect the 12V battery for approximately 10-15 minutes.
Retrieve your audio codes and reconnect the battery after waiting for 10-15 minutes with the battery disconnected.
Enter the codes and start the car. You should notice that your battery pack’s state of charge is at 0.
Go for a leisurely drive around the neighborhood and avoid high RPMS until your return. You should return as soon as the battery state of charge indicates a completely topped off battery pack. The charging process should be complete under 20 minutes. If it takes longer then set an appointment and take the vehicle to the dealer.
If the SoC is full upon your return, then leave the vehicle off overnight and monitor its state of charge or other warning lights or indicators. If the SoC is lower than the level observed the previous night or if other “maintenance required” + IMA lights are on then book an appointment with your dealer and take the vehicle in for a checkup.

Last edited by condor63; 09-18-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: My turn for IMA problems – advice needed!

Hmmm, interesting. Here's a follow-up question:

My lifetime average (calculated by hand) is about 43 MPG. However, since starting to have IMA battery problem, AND FOLLOWING ITS REPAIR, my fuel economy has not exceeded 37 MPG. Ordinarily I'm now getting between 33-35 MPG. This confuses me because I had expected that the fuel economy would return to normal after the IMA battery replacement.

What gives??? Could it need this sort of power reset?

Old 09-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Enthusiast

Steve, this forum is extremely knowledgeable it seems concerning the HCH (MSANTOS seems to be the resident expert), maybe you've heard of it, I would post there.

After i did the power reset i haven't seen a recal in 2 days but this doesn't mean it's been fixed (calculated mpg 42), keeping a close eye on it thou.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Old 09-19-2011, 10:49 AM

Good suggestion, Richard. I registered there many years ago, but have not participated – simply an oversight on my part.

Thanks for the reminder!

Old 09-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Think green.

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
Hmmm, interesting. Here's a follow-up question:

My lifetime average (calculated by hand) is about 43 MPG. However, since starting to have IMA battery problem, AND FOLLOWING ITS REPAIR, my fuel economy has not exceeded 37 MPG. Ordinarily I'm now getting between 33-35 MPG. This confuses me because I had expected that the fuel economy would return to normal after the IMA battery replacement.

What gives??? Could it need this sort of power reset?
It could be that, or maybe there's a "re-learn" period or procedure where the car needs to become re-familiarized with its previous idle settings, etcetera. Try googling for the re-learn procedure; I've read about it before. Or ask over at cleanmpg or one of the Honda forums.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:54 PM

Thank you. Will do! Always good ideas 'at hand' around here.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Think green.

Sent you a PM, not sure if it will be helpful or not, but I was also thinking you could ask Ron over at:

http://www.hybrid-battery-repair.com/

Since he replaces IMA batteries, he should know if there are any re-learns necessary and have details available.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:25 PM

Hi Gairwyn. Gosh, I just finished reading your PM and have to remark on your thoughtfulness and the time it must have taken you to research and compose such a good response. Many thanks for your kindness.

About four days ago I posted my question about a 're-learn procedure, if any, at clean mpg.com. As of yesterday, I only had one reply that mentioned checking tire pressures.

My next step will probably be to contact the dealer (and Ron, as you suggested) with the bits-and-pieces of information that you and others have provided. Since it's a warranty issue, I probably should give them first crack at it. I had just wanted to educate myself a little bit first, before taking the car back over there.

Based on what you told me in your PM, I'll see how my model might vary procedurally.

Again, thanks to you and others for your helpful suggestions.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:36 PM

I just checked my post at cleanmpg.com, and there was a good response added by user 'Right Lane Cruiser.' He gave me a link to a re-learn (power reset) procedure described by user 'msantos.'

I hope this may help others, as well.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Think green.

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
...My next step will probably be to contact the dealer...I had just wanted to educate myself a little bit first, before taking the car back over there.
Always a good idea! Good luck with it. I hope the mpg averages will improve over time.

Quick Reply: My turn for IMA problems – advice needed!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands