HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

MPG Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 07:03 PM
06 HCH Opal Blue Pearl
Default Re: MPG Question

Originally Posted by voicedoc
I have a new 2006 Civic Hybrid with 1240 miles on it.

Today, I made a round trip of 112 miles that included some very steep hills.
The mpg read 62.9.
It takes some time to learn how to drive them but once you do, the mileage just keeps gets better and better. I'm now shooting for 70 mpg.
George,

I would make sure you don't have the "odometer issue". My 2006 HCH was like that, but at fill up time my avg MPG was always around 48 mpg. The odometer never really gave an average, but instead sort of gave a "reading at the time". I actually had it show as low as the low 30's and highs in the 70's, all within a day or two!! I had the odometer replaced and now it accuratly shows my real average mileage, within 1/2 mpg of what I get at the gas station.

Since you are new, the odometer was bad in most 2006 HCH units produced from the summer of 2005 till January 1, 2006. Some reset themselves, while mine never reset, but never gave "real" average mileage readings.

Just a thought, so you aren't disapointed when you fill up the tank.

Regards,

Bob

Old 01-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Enthusiast

I worked out an average mpg today and I am getting 26 mpg!! I think that there is a problem with my car. I have noticed a lot of heavy vibrations when idle. Help, anyone!

Old 01-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Sorry to hear that.

Since you live that far south then I would say you must have something wrong with your vehicle. I assume that you have inflated your tires properly and all the good vehicle setup tips that tarabell's mentions in her article right?

Just to give you a comparative perspective I'll mention my driving regime, difficulties and the mileage I end up getting. Many folks in this board will be able to back me up on their own experiences. Others wont. C'est la vie:

I drive in -30F or lower on often slippery ice and snow, relatively short trips not lasting more than 20 minutes in a stop and go city environment, in one of the most harsh and merciless driving environments in North America. My milleage actually orbits very close to 40MPG.

This simply means that even if you do not factor the harsh weather you still have the two other factors that should not sink you much below my 40MPG target. Since you are getting tanks in the neighborhood of 30 or less, then two possible explanations remain:

1- Something is wrong with the car. Please have it checked out at your dealership.
2- Your driving is (or remains) agressive (this does not seem likely) .

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 01-15-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:27 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
Sorry to hear that.

Since you live that far south then I would say you must have something wrong with your vehicle. I assume that you have inflated your tires properly and all the good vehicle setup tips that tarabell's mentions in her article right?

Just to give you a comparative perspective I'll mention my driving regime, difficulties and the mileage I end up getting. Many folks in this board will be able to back me up on their own experiences. Others wont. C'est la vie:

I drive in -30F or lower on often slippery ice and snow, relatively short trips not lasting more than 20 minutes in a stop and go city environment, in one of the most harsh and merciless driving environments in North America. My milleage actually orbits very close to 40MPG.

This simply means that even if you do not factor the harsh weather you still have the two other factors that should not sink you much below my 40MPG target. Since you are getting tanks in the neighborhood of 30 or less, then two possible explanations remain:

1- Something is wrong with the car. Please have it checked out at your dealership.
2- Your driving is (or remains) agressive (this does not seem likely) .

Cheers;

MSantos

I have my tires inflated to 40 psi.

The roads here are very flat and straight, rarely any inclines. I do mostly city-type driving, however the lights are placed fairly far apart, and I usually am able to get my FE between 50 and 100 during these times. I am light on the gas and do not try to exceed more than 2500 to 3000 rpm. Any suggestions??

Old 01-16-2007, 03:54 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Obviously, you appear to be doing all the right things. However, going back a couple of posts , you mentioned "I have noticed a lot of heavy vibrations when idle". Now, this may be of interest as a sign that perhaps the car should be looked at.

Our car's engine will definitely vibrate a little (certainly a little more than usual) when the engine is cold. In my experience and in the experience of many in this forum we would certainly NOT describe it as "heavy vibrations" when idling.

A few questions:

1 - Do the vibrations change when you shift the transmission while stopped and with your foot still on the brake? Are the shifts thumpy and/or a little violent?
2 - Do you feel like the car takes time responding to accelleration input when you gently press the gas pedal?
3 - Does the vibration subside when the vehicle warms up (typically after 15-30 minutes of running)?

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 01-16-2007 at 05:00 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:19 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
Obviously, you appear to be doing all the right things. However, going back a couple of posts , you mentioned "I have noticed a lot of heavy vibrations when idle". Now, this may be of interest as a sign that perhaps the car should be looked at.

Our car's engine will definitely vibrate a little (certainly a little more than usual) when the engine is cold. In my experience and in the experience of many in this forum we would certainly NOT describe it as "heavy vibrations" when idling.

A few questions:

1 - Do the vibrations change when you shift the transmission while stopped and with your foot still on the brake? Are the shifts thumpy and/or a little violent?
2 - Do you feel like the car takes time responding to accelleration input when you gently press the gas pedal?
3 - Does the vibration subside when the vehicle warms up (typically after 15-30 minutes of running)?

Cheers;

MSantos
These vibrations occur after the car is warmed up and I come to a stop and the car does not go into auto stop mode. The car will vibrate heavily at times giving me a headache. Suggestions?

Old 04-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gumby
...but over time you will come to appreciate the zen-like feeling of not being in such a (self-imposed) rush to get everywhere.
And, your car will love you more. A lot less wear and tear.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tbaleno
...I challenge you to time 5 trips going your regular speed and 5 going slower and see if you don't come out about even....
I saved around two hours on my drive between TX and AZ last weekend by going 10 mph faster than normal! Okay, so that was over 1,000 miles and doesn't really apply. But still...

Old 04-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by globalwarming
Thankyou for the suggestions, I will try them out. Today, I was using my trip meter to see my average mpg, it was 34.7. I was driving with the air conditioning off, and not exceeding more than 2000 rpm. I am getting a bit frustrated with this, as I am hoping to get at least 40 mpg. Could there be some kind of mechanical problem?

Make sure you don't have on your defroster -- you also have to manually turn off the A/C...it sounds like you are not getting auto-stop and your idling speed sounds very high to me at 1500 -- my car idles under 1000 rpm if it isn't warm enough to get auto stop. This actually can make a big difference in your FE.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShellyD
Make sure you don't have on your defroster -- you also have to manually turn off the A/C...it sounds like you are not getting auto-stop and your idling speed sounds very high to me at 1500 -- my car idles under 1000 rpm if it isn't warm enough to get auto stop. This actually can make a big difference in your FE.
I am not sure what is wrong with the car. I am complaining to the dealership, but they keep saying nothing is wrong. I using the various techniques, not driving fast, slow accel, gliding, etc. But my best tank barely reached 400 miles.

Quick Reply: MPG Question

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands