HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

MPG Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 01:25 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: MPG Question

Originally Posted by EZ2beGreen
A driver averaging 29 or 31MPGR in a Prius or HCH likely does not correlate (or care to pay attention to) the relationship between driving attitudes and behaviours and fuel consumption...

My trips in the 30's for MPG, were times when a/c was needed, I was driving into a headwind, traveling uphill and was in a time crunch...

No need to worry, if improved fuel effiecieny is what you desire, this is the right place to find the info!

Also, was the 31MPG the first tank? Often the first tank includes VERY LARGE amounts of idle time from the dealer and/or the port, and/or transportation company.
Thankyou. 31 mpg is what I am getting lately, I have filled my tank about 6 times since I bought the car. I tried the different driving techniques I read in different articles and turned off the ac, I was around 33 mpg today. The car at idle seems to use a large amount of gas. The revs are anywhere from 1500 to 2000 rpm. Today, after i turned on the car, and let it sit for a few minutes to warm up, my trip B mpg was at 4.2 mpg. I am not sure if there is any problem with my car, but I think that it is just my style of driving.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Banned

My morning commutes have improved 50% since getting the hybrid, so look at is as an opportunity to get great tanks.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 10-17-2006 at 03:19 AM.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:57 PM

One trick is not to let it idle to warm up that will cost you big time (I know because I use remote start on my car in the winter). New cars don't need warm up time. Just get in turn on the key and go. If you want to be cautious then just don't floor the gas for the first 30 seconds or so

Old 10-16-2006, 10:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'd definitely cut out the idle time to warm up the car. Like Tom said, just drive it "gently" to start out and you'll be better off. And you've probably already done this, but check the tire pressure to be sure the dealer hasn't set them ridiculously low. I have met someone whose dealer delivered her a brand new HCH-2 with 28 psi all around and she drove it like that for weeks suffering unneccessarily because of something simple.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Wow, I don't know what's going on but I would never think that anyone could get only 31mpg in the HCHII. The lowest I have ever gotten on a tank of gas is 43.7 and that was my very first tank. I think the main thing is not to accelerate too fast and coast as much as you can when you see traffic slowing ahead of you. Also do a little P&G (Pulse & Glide). I usually go at or about 5 miles over the speed limit and the last few tanks have been right at 50mpg. Also do not depend on your average mpg gauge. Do the manual calculations after a fill-up. My gauge always shows 2-4mpg less than what I actually get.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mikeyt758
Wow, I don't know what's going on but I would never think that anyone could get only 31mpg in the HCHII. The lowest I have ever gotten on a tank of gas is 43.7 and that was my very first tank. I think the main thing is not to accelerate too fast and coast as much as you can when you see traffic slowing ahead of you. Also do a little P&G (Pulse & Glide). I usually go at or about 5 miles over the speed limit and the last few tanks have been right at 50mpg. Also do not depend on your average mpg gauge. Do the manual calculations after a fill-up. My gauge always shows 2-4mpg less than what I actually get.
Thankyou for the suggestions, I will try them out. Today, I was using my trip meter to see my average mpg, it was 34.7. I was driving with the air conditioning off, and not exceeding more than 2000 rpm. I am getting a bit frustrated with this, as I am hoping to get at least 40 mpg. Could there be some kind of mechanical problem?

Old 10-17-2006, 01:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You can exceed 2k rpms. All this feather-footing means you'll never use your IMA -- which is what makes it a hybrid. But don't listen to me I'm only avg 42.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:07 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Talking Re: MPG Question

globalwarming,
Is it a more northern location where you live. Temperature and warm up make a big difference in your mpg. I was in the low 40's when I first got my HCH II. In the summer (and after break-in) I have been getting in the 50's. My high tank was 62.3 mpg and 700.5 miles . This was achieved by below average speed limit and on several longer expressway drives. Keep working at it and you will improve. My tanks now are less mpg as the temps are going down - I live near Buffalo, NY.
By the way, I'm going to see "An Inconvenient Truth" on global warming. I've all ready read the book.
Regards,
Good luck,

Old 10-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Donald
globalwarming,
Is it a more northern location where you live. Temperature and warm up make a big difference in your mpg. I was in the low 40's when I first got my HCH II. In the summer (and after break-in) I have been getting in the 50's. My high tank was 62.3 mpg and 700.5 miles . This was achieved by below average speed limit and on several longer expressway drives. Keep working at it and you will improve. My tanks now are less mpg as the temps are going down - I live near Buffalo, NY.
By the way, I'm going to see "An Inconvenient Truth" on global warming. I've all ready read the book.
Regards,
Good luck,
Thankyou for the encouragement Donald, I will continue working at it. I live in Las Vegas, and it does not get that cold here, but it can go down to high 20's at night during the winter.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:07 PM
F**k ExxonMobil

me thinks you still haven't learned how to drive this car because you have not mentioned discovering super fe via ev mode, or glide, or fake shifting. did you read and apply the thread i suggested???

Quick Reply: MPG Question

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands