HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Like To Buy Hybrid Lic. Plate Frame; Where?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 01:38 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Like To Buy Hybrid Lic. Plate Frame; Where?

Originally Posted by msantos
Thanks, it looks great.

However, for it to work for me I would have to invert the cover because the yearly renewal license stickers are on the lower left and right corners of the plate. As you demonstrate with your exmaple, your renewal stickers are on the upper left and right corners.

The decals that come with the GH plate cover will work well - if and only if - they do not arrive to me with the decals already applied. I guess I'll see when they arrive.

Regards;

MS
MS,

Sorry big guy but when you get the Frame it will be a Completed Frame with {Stickers}.

You have to go have another company do your New-Stickers, as I did and then you or them reapply them in the position of your choosing.

Good-Luck,

Terry

Old 07-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Like To Buy Hybrid Lic. Plate Frame; Where?

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Uh, no. My hybrid when I bought it in March had standard black plastic license plate frames from Jordon Ford, front and back. I'm not sure where you got that information, but it is decidedly not true. Don't read everything you get in email.
My co-worker's wife was recently stopped (I believe it was about six weeks ago) in Texas, as she was driving to Arizona from Oklahoma. She did, in fact, get a ticket for a dealer's license plate frame. The reason was because the DPS officer could not read which state the plates were from.

Old 07-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Thanks Terry;

Perhaps the GH store should indicate that the plate covers are shipped with the decals already applied. Unfortunately I did not see such info, but it would be nice for anyone contemplating a similar purchase in the future to be aware of this. just in case.

Regards

MS

Old 07-09-2006, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by bar10dah
My co-worker's wife was recently stopped (I believe it was about six weeks ago) in Texas, as she was driving to Arizona from Oklahoma. She did, in fact, get a ticket for a dealer's license plate frame. The reason was because the DPS officer could not read which state the plates were from.
The fact remains -- license plate frames in and of themselves are not illegal in Texas. From the same Snopes article I linked earlier, it does state:
Of Texas course, regardless of the intent behind the law, how it's interpreted and enforced is what motorists care about most. If having a license plate frame which covers even a tiny portion of the word 'Texas' is considered a violation (even though the word itself may still be quite readable), then the practical effect of the law is to ban license plate frames, because nearly every frame will overlap some portion of the top and bottom of a license plate.
{deleted rest in light of response from local Police Dept., posted in message #35.}

Last edited by GeekGal; 07-10-2006 at 07:12 AM. Reason: deleted per new information
Old 07-10-2006, 06:15 AM

Well, gang, I emailed my local Police Department (San Antonio) and here is their response. Per their word, I guess even my plate frame (modified version without the letters & numbers is in my sig... shows how much of the plate edges are obscured by the frame) is illegal.
Texas has not outlawed license plate frames. The law of approximately 3 years ago makes it illegal to use a license plate frame that covers any of the printed features on the Texas license plate.

Meaning if a frame only covers the edge of the plate it is legal. If the frame covers any of the features printed on the plate, that frame is illegal. Texas plates have always been covered by the law stating that nothing can be added to the plates, which obscures any part of the plate, no stickers or decorations may be added. If an oversize frame covers any part of TEXAS at the top, any part of the numbers or letters, or any design features made on the plate, then that frame is illegal. Some dealers still place their advertising frames on new and used cars and if they block any feature, the driver is responsible for having an illegal obstruction of their license plates, even is installed by the dealer.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me at this address.

Shelton W. Spears
Technical Services Division Command Office
San Antonio Police Department
Just an FYI since this is definitely not what most Texas residents are aware of.

Last edited by GeekGal; 07-10-2006 at 07:21 AM. Reason: addendum
Old 07-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Quote from Shannon's PD letter:

Texas plates have always been covered by the law stating that nothing can be added to the plates, which obscures any part of the plate, no stickers or decorations may be added.

Another law that was seldom if ever enforced. I lived in Texas most of my life and saw dozens of plates with college logos (the UT longhorn, the Baylor "BU", the Aggie "ATM", etc.) stuck on to the middle. No one ever said boo about them. (Note: this was back in the days before specialty plates became available.) If those stickers had been illegal, cops would have been writing tickets 24/7.

Still waiting for Texas to drop those silly front plates . . .

Old 08-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

My two cents' worth: I am an expatriate Texan, and recall the old days of the early 70s when a Houston City Council member proposed outlawing bumper stickers, offended as he was about those left-wing hippie anti-war stickers.

He was asked "What about the 'America--Love it or Leave It!' stickers?" He responded that the police could selectively enforce the law.

----Anyway, I don't live in TX, and as I've mentioned before, I bought a frame from http://www.gotags.com/
They use embossed plastic. I had to drill two holes in the top, as they had holes only on the bottom (!). Slogan I used: "Caution: Smug Emissions"