HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Kelly Blue book omitted 2006 hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Kelly Blue book omitted 2006 hybrid

I went to kbb.com to find out what my 2006 HCH2 is worth if I sell it.

It shows all the other 2006 Civic trims, DX EX LX 2 door or 4 door, but the hybrid is not an option.

I want to track the value of my 2006 HCH2 with a California carpool sticker.

The stickers should be gone just about now.

Now the only way to get a carpool sticker is to buy a used hybrid with one.
This may increase the value of used hybrids and may cool deman for new hybrids in zip codes with heavy traffic and carpool lanes.

If the value of my 2006 goes up enough I may sell it to get a 2007 since I rarely use the carpool lane anyway.

Plus I'll be able to claim that $2100 tax credit a second time.

Last edited by kenny; 09-15-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: Kelly Blue book omitted 2006 hybrid

Two things I see...
1. KBB probably doesn't have enough data to provide a reliable quote, so rather than putting out crap numbers, they don't publish at all (good thing, in my mind)
2. If you sell your car, you don't get to claim the full credit.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
Two things I see...
1. KBB probably doesn't have enough data to provide a reliable quote, so rather than putting out crap numbers, they don't publish at all (good thing, in my mind)
2. If you sell your car, you don't get to claim the full credit.
What if i sell it in 2007?

BTW I emailed kbb.com and got this reply

(quote)
Thank you for contacting Kelley Blue Book. We cannot currently report used values for some 2006 models. It is very difficult to estimate when used values will be available, because we don't believe in using arbitrary formulas to set prices. We report actual market conditions as they happen, and new models begin to appear in the used market at different rates and in different market regions at different times. More 2006 models should begin appearing in late October, but there are always exceptions. As soon as we have 2006 values available, we will publish them on the site.
(end quote)

Translation:
No owner has sold a 2006 Civic hybrid yet, though owners must have sold the other 8 trims since we list prices for them.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:27 PM

I seem to recall that you get the full tax credit up front, but it assumes you own the vehicle for two or three years (can't remember). Legally, if you don't own the vehicle for the full amount of time, you would have to refund Uncle Sam. I suspect that it would be a prorated amount.

If you sell in '07, you'd get to keep more of your tax credit, but you'd sell your vehicle for less (more miles on it, plus the sticker is less valuable to a potential buyer... remember that the program goes away in January of '08 (unless by some miracle they renew it!!!).