HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Just bought car; looks like 12v or IMA battery failure!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 11:49 AM
Enthusiast
Default Just bought car; looks like 12v or IMA battery failure!

Hello everyone!

I just purchased a car from a dealer; a 2008 HCH with 65k miles on it. Everything is in pristine condition and I'm in love with the car. Unfortunately the only thing weird about the sale is that it was sold 'As-is'. This was from a reputable dealer and such, but nevertheless that struck me a bit.

Additionally on the test drive, I noticed that the Tripometer hadn't been reset; 4500 miles at 33.6 MPG. I thought it was a little low than advertised, but didn't think too much into it.

Regardless, I'm not mad about it, since California seems to cover the hybrid battery for 150k/15 years.

In any case, yesterday when I started and idled the car with headlights on, the IMA light came on, the 12v battery light came on, and the CEL came on. I pulled the code (P1570), and then like an idiot reset the code to see if it would come back immediately. It hasn't, but in the 35 miles I've driven, I've gotten 5 recals.

I'm just curious if it's worth changing the 12v battery first; like if there is any possible way that could make things better. The battery is about 4 years old; but I don't quite know what things it may affect. Otherwise, I'll just keep driving until that IMA light comes back on, and then take it into the dealer. Accelerating to highway speed without IMA is really annoying

Thank you for the help!

Old 07-18-2015, 05:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Just bought car; looks like 12v or IMA battery failure!

If it is under warranty still, take it to Honda

Old 07-19-2015, 05:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Just bought car; looks like 12v or IMA battery failure!

Never ever ever reset an IMA code if you're still under warranty.

Never.

Ever.

A weak 12V can put a heavier load on the DC-DC converter, thus straining the IMA battery. Use the crap out of your A/C and drive straight to the dealership when the light comes on.

Steve